Is this Neymar’s big New Year bash? Brazilian events company reveal they are putting on a party for ‘approximately 150 people’ just outside Rio de Janeiro (but don’t name the host) after PSG star denied flouting Covid rules amid fury from locals
- A Brazilian events company has insisted an upcoming bash will be Covid-safe
- It is believed the New Year party for 150 people is being thrown by Neymar
- The PSG star denied claims a party this week with 500 people flouted rules
- Fabrica say the event will comply with local authority health standards
A New Year party for 150 people thrown by Brazilian footballer Neymar will be subject to strict health rules to try to prevent the spread of the Covid-19 virus, organisers said.
The Paris Saint-Germain forward has come under heavy criticism since details of the event were revealed in a Rio de Janeiro newspaper over the weekend.
But the agency organising the party said reports that 500 friends and celebrities were due to attend were not true and that only 150 people would be at the multi-day celebration in Mangaratiba, around 105km down the coast from Rio.
A Brazilian events company has insisted a party for 150-people will be Covid safe amid reports that Paris Saint Germain star Neymar (pictured) is to host a New Year bash
Neymar, pictured at a party in Paris in May 2019, has denied flouting Covid-19 rules by hosting a 500-person party over the festive period
‘The event will take place in compliance with all the sanitary norms as determined by public bodies,’ the Fabrica agency said in a statement.
The event is private and all relevant permissions have been obtained, it added.
Local authorities at Mangaratiba were unavailable for comment. Neymar’s press office did not immediately respond to text messages.
It follows on from the PSG star denying accusations of flouting Covid rules to host a five-day party involving 500 people at his mansion in Brazil.
Neymar (top row, centre right) poses for a picture on Christmas day with sister Rafaella Santos (right), son Davi Luca (bottom), his mum Nadine Goncalves (top row, centre left), his father Neymar Sr (bottom row, centre right) and close friend Jota Amancio (left)
Local reports in Mangaratiba, close to Rio de Janeiro, say the 28-year-old began the party on December 25 with the intention of continuing until the New Year.
Eyewitnesses claimed scores of guests have been arriving and leaving with Neymar banning mobile phones to keep the bash secret and also sound-proofing an annexe of the mansion to prevent neighbours hearing the noise.
CNN Brasil reported that Neymar’s representatives denied the party is taking place at all but the City of Mangaratiba has criticised him for ‘hurting sanitary principles’.
In a statement, the local authority said it was ‘not officially notified of the party and that an event for 500 people should, at least, have been notified to the municipality.’
Brazilian company Fabrica say 150 people will attend a New Year bash in Mangaratiba
A source from the local government told CNN: ‘There is no way to legislate at a particular event but if Neymar has a party here (Mangaratiba), he is seriously hurting sanitary principles, the decrees in force and the recommendations of city hall to only hold small family parties.
‘The population is dissatisfied with the party and the repercussions involving the name of the city. The event is a sanitary disrespect and totally absurd.’
Neymar’s 10,000 square metre property boasts six suites, a helipad, tennis court, heated underground cellar with capacity for 3,000 bottles of wine, an underground nightclub, a spa with heated jacuzzi, steam sauna, massage room, gym and jetty for motorboats.
Neymar was ruled out for the rest of 2020 following a challenge by Thiago Mendes (right)
The PSG star was feared to have broken his ankle after being taken off on a stretcher during a Ligue 1 match clash with Lyon earlier this month.
Subsequent medical examinations were said to have been ‘reassuring’, although the 28-year-old was ruled out for the rest of 2020.
Brazil has had nearly 7.5 million confirmed cases of Covid, the third highest in the world, and 191,139 deaths, the second highest after the United States, according to health ministry figures.