ITV bosses ‘fear Holly Willoughby could leave This Morning’ after the presenter thought Queuegate backlash was ‘mishandled’
ITV bosses are allegedly fearing that Holly Willoughby ‘could leave This Morning’ after the presenter thought that ‘Queuegate backlash was ‘mishandled.’
The TV personality, 42, and her co-host Philip Schofield came under fire last year when they were accused of having ‘VIP access’ to file ‘past the Queen lying in state,’ skipping the queue, a claim that the stars and ITV have both denied.
According to new report, Holly was ‘devastated’ by the public reception and the broadcaster’s ‘decision to remain silent.’
As a result The Mirror affirms that ITV lack the ‘confidence’ they have previously had with Holly’s contract, which expires in December.
The broadcaster is said to be working on a ‘bumper package’ for the presenter in order to keep her with the channel.
Oh dear: ITV bosses are allegedly fearing that Holly Willoughby ‘could leave This Morning’ after the presenter thought that ‘Queuegate backlash was ‘mishandled’
A source told the publication: ‘The Queuegate backlash was absolutely devastating for Holly, but what made matters worse was the feeling it was mishandled.
‘ITV’s decision to remain silent before finally issuing a statement was frustrating, as it felt like they were shutting the door after the horse had bolted.
‘Bosses know last year was incredibly hard for her and as such, they are not approaching her contract negotiations with the same confidence as they have previously.’
MailOnline has contacted representatives for ITV and Holly Willoughby for comment.
In September, This Morning bosses denied show hosts Holly and Phillip had ‘VIP access’ and filed ‘past the Queen lying in state’ as they filmed a segment for the programme at Westminster Hall in London.
The presenters cut sombre figures as they dressed in black and visited the Queen’s coffin to film for the upcoming episode which was due to air the day after the late monarch’s state funeral.
With reports the five-mile long queue had been closed for six hours, boosting the wait time to ‘at least 14 hours’, the TV duo were said to have joined a separate queue and were taken into a press gallery.
ITV bosses posted a statement on Instagram which denied the pair had received special treatment: ‘Hello everyone, we would like to clarify something. We asked Phillip and Holly to be part of a film for this Tuesday’s programme,’ it read.
Queue: According to new report, Holly was ‘devastated’ by the public reception and the broadcaster’s ‘decision to remain silent’
‘They did not jump the queue, have VIP access or file past the Queen lying in state – but instead were there in a professional capacity as part of the world’s media to report on the event.’
An ITV spokesperson added in a statement to MailOnline: ‘This Morning had press accreditation and like other media, Phillip and Holly were escorted to work from the press gallery by government staff.
‘They did not file past The Queen’s coffin. They were there alongside a host of other broadcasters and national press outlets for an item that will be broadcast on Tuesday’s show. Any allegations of improper behaviour are categorically untrue.’
A source told MailOnline: ‘They did not get to pay their respects to the Queen in the same way as queuing members of the public but they filmed in a section put aside for press.’
Statement: They filmed a segment for the programme at Westminster Hall in London with reports surfacing that they had cut queues and received special treatment
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk