Australian jihadi Neil Prakash has lost his bid for freedom as a judge has ordered he remain behind bars in Turkey while he waits to face trial for terrorism charges.
Prakash, 27, applied for bail after a judge denied a request for the Melbourne-born jihadi to be extradited to Australia, News Corp reported.
In a court on the Syrian border, Prakash, who has already spent almost two years in jail in Gaziantep, was told he would have to remain behind bars after being charged with domestic terrorism offences.
Australian jihadi Neil Prakash (pictured) has lost his bid for freedom as a judge has ordered he remain behind bars in Turkey while he waits to face trial for terrorism charges
He is facing a sentence between seven and 15 years if convicted.
The 27-year-old previously admitted he was a solider for Islamic State, but denied having a leadership role.
When he was arrested in October 2016 while trying to cross the Syrian Turkish border, police said he was an ’emir’ or senior Islamic State figure.
In acknowledgement of his senior status, it is understood he was given two wives.
Prakash moved to Syria in 2013, where recruited for the terrorist group and shared online propaganda.
The Australian Federal Police wants Prakash to be extradited to Australia to face charges related to being a member of a terrorist organisation and engaging in hostile activities.
Prakash, 27, applied for bail after a judge denied a request for the Melbourne-born jihadi to be extradited to Australia (stock image)
Moments after a prosecutor began plans to organise the extradition Judge Ismail Deniz decided Prakash should not be sent back to Australia.
The Australian Government cannot appeal the decision but can lobby the Turkish Government for an appeal.
Prakash, an Islamic convert, previously told the court in September last year he was a ‘new Muslim and didn’t have the knowledge,’ News Corp reported.
‘All I wanted to do was follow the religion,’ he said.
‘I am sorry for all the trouble I have caused in the world.’
Prakash was due to appear in the Kilis Criminal Court on Wednesday night to present his defence for the new indictment.
He would face a sentence between seven and 15 years if convicted of the charges
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.