A 2016 domestic assault charge, stemming from a night out in Texas in 2016, against Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Johnny Manziel by his then girlfriend, has been dismissed.
The Dallas County District Attorney’s Office on Thursday confirmed Manziel successfully completed requirements of a court agreement that included taking an anger management course and participating in the NFL’s substance-abuse program. The case was dismissed Nov. 22.
The 24-year-old Manziel also had to stay away from former girlfriend Colleen Crowley, who accused him of hitting and threatening her during a January 2016 night out.
Johnny Maziel was accused by his now ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley (pictured together) of hitting her in 2016
Manziel (in his mugshot, and while he was with the Cleveland Browns) completed court ordered anger management and the NFL’s substance-abuse program
Manziel faced a misdemeanor charge that carried a penalty of up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine.
The allegations stem from a night out when Crowley said Manziel accosted her at a Dallas hotel, a confrontation that continued downstairs to the valet station. She said he forced her into a car and a valet disregarded her pleas for help.
The two eventually drove to where her car was parked in front of a Dallas bar, she said in an affidavit. She said Manziel got into the driver’s seat and began to drive. Crowley said Manziel stopped when she tried to jump out of the car, but then he dragged her back inside and hit her.
The former NFL player has since moved on from his volitile relationship with Crowley and announced his engagement to model Bre Teisi in March. So far so good for the couple, no similar incidents have surfaced.
Cops were called to the scene in Fort Worth, Texas, after reports of an altercation between Manziel and then girlfriend Colleen Crowley. This is the second time police have been called to an argument between the pair
This was not the first time cops were called out to a fight between Manziel and now ex-girlfriend Crowley.
In October of 2015, police in Ohio responded to a report of the couple fighting in a car and the quarterback admitted to drinking earlier that day but no charges were made.
This was despite Crowley telling police that the football player had slammed her head into the car window.
The notorious party boys antics were in high gear in late 2015, and early 2016.
In January of 2016, weeks before the assault charge, he apparently wore a blond wig, fake mustache and sunglasses to the party and as per the NFL’s post-concussion protocol, was banned from the game the next day.
Employees and a customer at Planet Hollywood reported seeing Manziel eating and playing blackjack at the casino on the Saturday night back in early January.
Then, ESPN Las Vegas added to the story, saying the quarterback wore a disguise and said his name was Billy while out in Sin City. There is also reportedly video of Manziel in his disguise.
News of his disguise prompted Twitter users to post a series of memes online showing mock-up images of Manziel wearing different wigs and sunglasses.
The news comes as it is being reported by Cleveland radio personality Tony Grossi that Manziel was ‘disheveled’ and ‘inebriated’ at Browns practice the week before.
Cleveland chose Manziel 22nd overall in the 2014 draft. The Browns cut him in March 2016 after two seasons of inconsistent play and off-the-field issues. The former Texas A&M star was suspended four games for a substance-abuse violation even though he wasn’t under contract.
Manziel looked north of the border recently and the Canadian Football League said in September that it would not approve a contract for him until next season, if he meets confidential conditions stipulated by the CFL commissioner.
One of the memes posted online which imagines what Maziel looked like in the club