The Princess of Wales is being treated in hospital after undergoing successful abdominal surgery, Kensington Palace revealed today.
Kate Middleton, 42, was admitted to The London Clinic in Marylebone yesterday for the planned procedure and is expected to remain in hospital for ten to 14 days.
The future Queen will then return home to Windsor in Berkshire to continue her recovery with the support of her family. It is understood not to be cancerous.
The Princess is likely to be advised to recuperate for two to three months, and her return to official duties will depend on medical advice closer to the time.
Kate is not expected to return to public events until after Easter, and her husband Prince William will combine being by his wife’s and children’s side throughout.
Kate, Charlotte, George, William and Louis at the Sandringham Christmas Day 2023 service
Kate arrives for the royal carol concert at Westminster Abbey on December 8 last year
The Prince will therefore also postpone a number of engagements as he supports his family, and will not undertake official duties while his wife is in hospital.
He will also do no official duties during the immediate period following Kate’s return home. Royal officials will provide a revised schedule for William in due course.
Neither William nor Kate will travel internationally over the coming months, and royal officials said they would provide updates on her recovery when appropriate.
A palace spokesman said at 2pm today: ‘Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales was admitted to The London Clinic yesterday for planned abdominal surgery.
‘The surgery was successful and it is expected that she will remain in hospital for ten to fourteen days, before returning home to continue her recovery. Based on the current medical advice, she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter.
Kensington Palace announced today that the Princess of Wales has had abdominal surgery
Kate was admitted to The London Clinic (pictured) yesterday for planned abdominal surgery
‘The Princess of Wales appreciates the interest this statement will generate. She hopes that the public will understand her desire to maintain as much normality for her children as possible; and her wish that her personal medical information remains private.
‘Kensington Palace will, therefore, only provide updates on Her Royal Highness’ progress when there is significant new information to share.
‘The Princess of Wales wishes to apologise to all those concerned for the fact that she has to postpone her upcoming engagements. She looks forward to reinstating as many as possible, as soon as possible.’
Royal expert Phil Dampier said: ‘Wishing the Princess of Wales a speedy recovery after abdominal surgery. We don’t know the details but clearly this was serious as she will be in hospital for a fortnight and needs up to three months to recover.’