Mandy Richards has been chosen to try and overturn a 2,500 vote majority to win Worcester from the Tories at the next election
Labour is facing demands to axe a prospective MP for spreading conspiracy theories about the Manchester bombing and Jo Cox’s murder.
Mandy Richards, who has been selected to fight Worcester at the next election, said the murder of Ms Cox in 2016 was ‘conveniently bereft of evidence’.
She also posted tweets questioning whether last year’s Manchester Arena terror attack took place.
The messages will increase the pressure on Labour’s ruling National Executive Committee (NEC) to strip her of the candidacy in the marginal seat.
It emerged yesterday that Ms Richards can only bring court cases in future with the prior approval of a judge after trying and failing to push through a series of earlier challenges.
She brought failed actions against MI5, MI6, the Metropolitan police, the army, Thames Water, her gas, electricity and broadband suppliers, Royal Mail, Hackney council, her GP and the freeholder of her flat, according to the Sunday Times.
None of the failed cases were declared to Labour before she was selected as a candidate, MailOnline understands.
Her selection by activists in Worcester still needs to be approved by the NEC – as Labour MPs called for it to be blocked.
Backbencher John Woodcock said: ‘We would be outraged if any other party picked a candidate who said this about the murder of our friend. We should care even more about getting our own house in order.’
One of Ms Richards’ cases dismissed as being ‘totally without merit’.
In a separate court case, she filed a challenge to the result of a 2016 London Assembly election but was dismissed after presenting a ‘conspiracy hypotheses’ that were ‘totally unfounded’.
Ms Richards was a Labour candidate in the 2016 London assembly election and also brought a High Court petition to challenge the result, alleging a conspiracy to cheat her involving the returning officer and Progress, Labour’s centrist group.
Ms Richards tweeted about the Manchester bombing, and suggested the murder of Jo Cox was ‘conveniently bereft of evidence’
Labour backbencher John Woodcock was among those who condemned the tweets
In a two-day hearing, she said ‘state-sponsored organised crime’ in the case had ‘the potential to trigger a major national public scandal’ and forced 13 witnesses, including her MP, the shadow home secretary, Diane Abbott, to give evidence in person.
Ms Abbott said she was an ‘obsessive’ whose claims about the election ‘cannot be true’.
Dismissing Richards’s case, the election commissioner, John Bowers QC, said she had pursued ‘conspiracy hypotheses’ that were ‘totally unfounded’.
Mr Bowers also criticised her for not turning up to court on time. Her actions are estimated to have cost taxpayers £500,000 in court time and legal fees.
In a post on Facebook tonight, Ms Richards did not directly address the tweets on Ms Cox’s murder and the Manchester bombing.
But she insisted all the legal actions she had attempted to bring were ‘above board’.
‘I apologise to Labour Party members for any consternation or upset the articles published this weekend may have caused, but I can assure you categorically the cases brought were all above board,’ she wrote.
Conservative Robin Walker currently holds Worcester with a majority of 2,490 votes