News, Culture & Society

Latrell Mitchell appeals $50,000 fine after breaking coronavirus quarantine due to ‘false evidence’ 

Iso-dodging footy star Latrell Mitchell appeals $50,000 fine handed down by the NRL as he says ‘false evidence’ was used against him

  • NRL star Latrell Mitchell will appeal a $50,000 fine handed down by the league 
  • The 22-year-old was fined after he was caught flouting coronavirus rules
  • Pictures on social media showed Mitchell and a group of men at his farm in Taree 
  • Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19

Latrell Mitchell will appeal a $50,000 fine handed down by the NRL due to ‘false evidence’ after he was caught flouting coronavirus social distancing rules at his farm.

The Rabbitohs star was slapped with the hefty fine – $30,000 of which was suspended – and a breach notice after photos of Mitchell and several men, including fellow NRL player Josh Addo-Carr, surfaced on social media. 

Pictures from the trip show the group of men motor-cross riding and shooting at Mitchell’s farm near Taree, on the NSW Mid North Coast, clearly violating COVID-19 restrictions. 

Addo-Carr was also hit with a $50,000 fine over pictures of him motorbiking at the beach.

Latrell Mitchell (pictured with partner Brielle) will appeal a $50,000 fine handed down by the NRL due to ‘false evidence’ after he was caught flouting coronavirus social distancing rules

The Rabbitohs star was slapped with the hefty fine - $30,000 of which was suspended - and a breach notice after photos of Mitchell and several men, including fellow NRL player Josh Addo-Carr, surfaced on social media

The Rabbitohs star was slapped with the hefty fine – $30,000 of which was suspended – and a breach notice after photos of Mitchell and several men, including fellow NRL player Josh Addo-Carr, surfaced on social media

But Mitchell argues he was also penalized for being at the beach despite claiming he wasn’t there, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The 22-year-old also contends he did not breach coronavirus restrictions because he was at work on his 222ha cattle farm. 

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have also launched their own appeal after they were fined $20,000 by the NRL over an incident with Cody Walker.   

Walker, who was filmed kicking a man during a melee, was handed a two-game suspension and a suspended $15,000 fine. 

The Rabbitohs were issued a $20,000 breach notice for failing to alert the NRL’s Integrity Unit about the October 2019 incident.

The Daily Telegraph reported the NRL was told of both Mitchell and Souths’ appeals on Friday. 

Pictures from the trip show the group of men motor-cross riding and shooting at Mitchell's farm near Taree, on the NSW Mid North Coast, clearly violating COVID-19 restrictions

Pictures from the trip show the group of men motor-cross riding and shooting at Mitchell’s farm near Taree, on the NSW Mid North Coast, clearly violating COVID-19 restrictions

Mitchell’s manager Matt Rose said: ‘I can confirm we are appealing the NRL’s breach notice and fine imposed on Latrell because of inaccurate information used to the impose the sanction.

‘We are simply trying to clear up some untruths that have been circulating on this matter since it became public.’

The NRL suspended its season on March 23, as the coronavirus crisis shut down sporting leagues across Australia.

Mitchell bought the cattle farm earlier in the year and set up an ABN to run as a business.

When the coronavirus rules came into effect and the NRL season was put on hold, it’s understood Mitchell went to Taree so he could get to work as a farmer.

His partner Brielle had already planned to give birth to the couple’s second child in Taree to be near Mitchell’s parents. Their daughter Aleena was born in April. 

The 22-year-old contends he did not breach coronavirus restrictions because he was at work on his 222ha cattle farm

The 22-year-old contends he did not breach coronavirus restrictions because he was at work on his 222ha cattle farm

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.