A three-year-old boy has drowned in a swimming pool at a sports centre in Leeds.
He was found unconscious in the water at the David Lloyd cub in Tongue Lane at 9.30am and was pulled out by lifeguards.
Emergency services arrived at the scene 15 minutes later and rushed the toddler to hospital but he was later pronounced dead.
West Yorkshire Police is treating his death as a ‘tragic accident’ but is still appealing for witnesses.
A three-year-old boy has drowned at the David Lloyd fitness centre in Leeds this morning
A spokesman for David Lloyd told MailOnline: ‘We are deeply saddened by today’s incident at our Leeds club today.
‘The child was swimming with his family in our indoor pool at the time of the incident.
‘He was found unconscious just after 9.30am this morning, and was rescued from the water by one of our team.
‘Our club teams are fully trained to deal with incidents of this nature, and they immediately administered CPR and the emergency services were called.
‘He was taken to hospital by ambulance, accompanied by his mother.
‘All of our team at the club are deeply shocked and saddened. Our thoughts are very much with the boy’s family at this very sad time.’
A lifeguard looked on in shock from inside the club building this afternoon as staff told members of the public it would be closing.
West Yorkshire Police is treating his death as a ‘tragic accident’ but is still appealing for witnesses who were at the Tongue Lane sports centre (pictured) this morning
Club member Ash Moyassari, 12, who had visited the centre at 12pm today said he saw people ‘rushing out and crying’ as he entered to use the outdoor pool.
He said: ‘It was a nice day so I thought I’d go for a swim. As I came in I thought it was very strange how so many people were leaving.
‘But I got as far as the balcony overlooking the outdoor pool when I saw it was completely empty and then I was told it was closed and I couldn’t go in.
‘Afterwards I was told by someone who works there that a little child had died.
‘There were a lot of people leaving – some of them were rushing out and crying. It’s really tragic – I feel bad for the boy’s parents.’
Ash’s father Mahmoud, 58, said he has been a club member for 15 years and nothing like it had ever happened before.
He said: ‘It’s absolutely terrible – my son is already in shock.
‘It’s so unfortunate and so sad and my thoughts go to the family – I cannot even think about it a a parent. I would die myself – seriously.’
Club member James John-Lewis was due to meet a friend at the gym when he was told it was closed due to the boy’s death.
He said: ‘I’m quite shocked to be honest. As far as I’m aware they’ve got lifeguards so I’m really surprised. My condolences go to the family – it’s very sad news.’
Pictured: Emergency services were scrambled to the pool at the centre (pictured) but the toddler was pronounced dead shortly afterwards
A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: ‘Police are investigating following the tragic death of a three-year-old boy who drowned in a swimming pool in Leeds this morning.
‘Officers were called shortly before 9.45am this morning to the David Lloyd club on Tongue Lane, Leeds, following a report that a child had entered the pool and drowned.
‘The boy was taken to Leeds General Infirmary where he was later pronounced deceased.
‘Officers are treating the incident as a tragic accident but are appealing for anyone who was in the pool at the time to make contact.’
Detective Inspector James Entwistle, of Leeds District CID, added: ‘This appears to be a tragic accident and are thoughts are with the boy’s family at this extremely difficult time.
‘While there is nothing to suggest that the death was suspicious, we do have a duty to investigate the circumstances of what has happened.
‘We understand that there were a number of people in the pool at the time who have left the area prior to police arriving at the scene. We would ask these people to come forward to give their accounts of what they have seen and heard.
‘Anyone who can assist our enquiries is asked to please call Leeds District CID via 101, quoting log 607 of 21/04.’