News, Culture & Society

Lil Wayne forced to pull out of festival after Home Office blocks rapper from entering UK

‘We are deeply disappointed by this sudden and negative ruling’: Lil Wayne forced to pull out of festival after Home Office blocks rapper from entering UK

  • The rapper, 39, whose real name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., was due to headline at Strawberries & Creem 2022 on Saturday 
  • He will be replaced by Ludacris instead, for the show at Childerley Orchard, Cambridge 
  • The festival released a statement where they said they were feeling ‘deeply disappointed’ by the ‘negative’ ruling 
  • Lil Wayne was previously arrested in December 2019, and charged with possession of a firearm and ammunition
  • He could have faced 10 years in prison for illegally owning a .45-caliber handgun – which he was banned from possessing because of a weapons conviction in New York more than a decade ago
  • The rapper already had a felony gun conviction dating back to 2009. He was sentenced to eight months in a New York prison for that offense, and convicted felons are subsequently barred under federal law from possessing firearms
  • However, on his final day in office in January 2021, President Donald Trump pardoned Lil Wayne of the charges

Lil Wayne has been blocked from entering the UK by the Home Office, forcing him to pull out of scheduled festival headline slot.

The rapper, 39, whose real name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., was due to headline at Strawberries & Creem 2022 on Saturday.

But he has had to step down after the Home Office made a decision to reject his entrance to the UK. It is not known exactly why the rapper has been refused entry to the UK.

Barred: Lil Wayne has been blocked from entering the UK by the Home Office, forcing him to pull out of scheduled festival headline slot

He will be replaced by Ludacris instead, for the show at Childerley Orchard, Cambridge.

MailOnline has contacted representatives for Lil Wayne and the Home Office for comment. 

The festival released a statement where they said they were feeling ‘deeply disappointed’ by the ‘negative’ ruling. 

They added how they were annoyed by the short time frame allowed by the decision being given in which to find a replacement act. 

Pulled out: The rapper, 39, whose real name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., was due to headline at Strawberries & Creem 2022 on Saturday

Pulled out: The rapper, 39, whose real name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., was due to headline at Strawberries & Creem 2022 on Saturday

They said: ‘Lil Wayne will no longer be performing at Strawberries & Creem 2022. Ludacris will now perform on Saturday.

‘Due to extreme circumstances beyond our control or influence, we are very sorry to inform you that Lil Wayne is now unable to perform at the festival on Saturday 18th June.

‘Lil Wayne has been refused entry to the UK directly by the Home Office in a last-minute decision. We are deeply disappointed by this sudden and negative ruling.

‘We have received very minimal notice, and the timing of the decision is of course upsetting for all involved – including Lil Wayne’s fans, as well as the festival team.

Letdown: The festival released a statement where they said they were feeling 'deeply disappointed' by the 'negative' ruling

Letdown: The festival released a statement where they said they were feeling ‘deeply disappointed’ by the ‘negative’ ruling

‘Across the weekend, we still have an incredible array of artists joining us. The team have all worked round the clock to secure a huge new name for Saturday too: We have brought in Grammy-winning rapper Ludacris to play a UK exclusive set on Saturday 18th June.’

They then announced that all ticket holders would be entitled to a free Sunday ticket for the event or discounted tickets for next year’s festival to make amends for the disappointing news.

They added: ‘Additionally, the team would also like to offer ticket holders a free ticket for Sunday 19th June, or a discount on tickets for next year’s festival. Please check your emails for details on how to claim these.

‘In absence of any statement from Lil Wayne, we would like to apologise to everyone who was coming to see him perform at S&C. We look forward to welcoming the iconic Ludcacris to the stage instead.

‘We can’t wait to see all of you this weekend. Love and thank you for your support as always.’ 

Lil Wayne was previously arrested in December 2019, and charged with possession of a firearm and ammunition.

He could have faced 10 years in prison for illegally owning a .45-caliber handgun – which he was banned from possessing because of a weapons conviction in New York more than a decade ago. 

Replacement: He will be replaced by Ludacris instead, for the show at Childerley Orchard, Cambridge

Replacement: He will be replaced by Ludacris instead, for the show at Childerley Orchard, Cambridge

The rapper already had a felony gun conviction dating back to 2009.

He was sentenced to eight months in a New York prison for that offense, and convicted felons are subsequently barred under federal law from possessing firearms.

However, on his final day in office in January 2021, President Donald Trump pardoned Lil Wayne of the charges.

Days before the November election, Lil Wayne had posed for a thumbs-up with Trump and praised him for ‘listening to what we had to say’ in an apparent endorsement of the president. 

'Great meeting': Lil Wayne posed for a thumbs-up with Trump in Florida just days efore the presidential election

‘Great meeting’: Lil Wayne posed for a thumbs-up with Trump in Florida just days before the November election, praising the president’s efforts at criminal justice reform 

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk