The Ashes LIVE – England vs Australia: Follow all the action from the fifth day of the second Test at Lord’s
- All results possible on the fifth and final day of the second Test at Lord’s
- England resumed on 96 for four and declared on 258 for five in the afternoon
- Ben Stokes smashed his first Test ton in two years and ended unbeaten on 115
- Australia reached tea on 46 for two after England set them 267 to win
- They need a further 221 to win with minimum of 35 overs remaining in the game
- LAST WICKET: Paine c Denly b Archer 4, Australia 149 for 6
Scroll down for live commentary
The second Ashes Test is poised for a thrilling conclusion after a dramatic fourth day during which the bowlers of both England and Australia held sway.
During a ferocious spell which saw speeds touch 96mph, Jofra Archer struck Steve Smith on the neck and forced the batsman to retire hurt on 80.
Smith returned to the middle 40 minutes later but, with his judgement clearly impaired, was trapped lbw by Chris Woakes for 92 as Australia were bowled out for 250 – a deficit of eight.
But England’s hopes of manoeuvring themselves into a match-winning position with the bat were dealt a blow when Pat Cummins removed Jason Roy and Joe Root in successive balls.
Rory Burns and Joe Denly steadied England but both fell to Peter Siddle later in the day as England closed on 96 for four – a lead of 104.
It sets up a tantalising final day at Lord’s where all results are possible, with England knowing they really can’t afford to go 2-0 down in the series.
Join JAMES DUTTON for commentary on the climax of the second Test.