MAKES 1 X 23CM CAKE
4 medium egg yolks
100g golden caster sugar
grated zest of 2 limes
1 tsp vanilla extract
500ml whole milk
150ml whole milk
30g unsalted butter diced
2 medium eggs plus 2 egg yolks
200g golden caster sugar
115g plain flour sifted
1 tsp baking powder sifted
35g cocoa powder sifted
100ml double cream
100g dark chocolate with lime (about 50 per cent cocoa for example Lindt Excellence)
finely grated lime zest to decorate
- For the filling, whisk the first four ingredients in a large bowl, then whisk in the cornflour. Bring the milk to the boil in a medium non-stick pan, whisk it onto the egg yolk mixture then return this to the pan, and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly until you have a thick custard without any lumps (if you like, use a mini-whisk to help achieve a nice smooth texture). Strain the custard through a sieve into a large bowl, cover the surface with clingfilm and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Select a loose-bottomed cake tin about 23cm across and 7cm deep (no need to butter or flour it).
- For the sponge, place the milk and butter in a small pan and heat until melted and combined. Whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar in a large bowl for 5 minutes using an electric whisk, until very thick, moussey and almost white. Combine the three sifted ingredients and fold them into the flour mixture in three goes. Gradually whisk in the milk solution in three goes until you have a smooth batter. Pour this into the tin and give it a couple of taps on the work surface to bring up any large air bubbles.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the surface of the cake looks set and spongey. Place a wire rack over the tin and invert it, allowing the cake to cool completely in the tin upside down (this helps prevent it from sinking). Remove the collar of the tin, stand the cake the right way up and slice it in two horizontally.
- For the glaze, bring the cream to the boil in a small pan and pour over the chocolate in a small bowl. Leave for a couple of minutes and stir, then continue stirring from time to time until you have a smooth glaze.
- To assemble, give the custard a stir and spread it over the lower layer of cake to within 1 cm of the rim then set the top layer of cake in place. Spread over the glaze, taking it up to the rim. Decorate with a little finely grated lime zest and chill for a couple of hours. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before eating.
Catherine by The Amber Rose Tea Company, £14.95 per 100g, theamberroseteacompany.co.uk