‘We have kind of arrived at an end point’: Lyon chief Juninho confirms defender Marcelo wants out of the club amid ongoing feud with fans
- Juninho says Lyon defender Marcelo is planning to leave the club
- 32-year-old ‘fears for his and family’s safety’ after being abused by supporters
- Lyon ultras unveiled an explicit banner during the 1-0 home defeat by Rennes
Lyon sporting director Juninho has revealed defender Marcelo wants to leave the club after he was yet again targeted by supporters during Sunday’s home defeat by Rennes.
Marcelo had been named among the substitutes despite being sanctioned for aiming a middle-finger gesture at Lyon fans after the ultras produced a banner depicting the Brazilian as a donkey.
The 32-year-old responded angrily when supporters tried to confront him on the Groupama Stadium pitch after the Champions League draw with RB Leipzig.
Lyon fans unveiled a crass banner aimed at Marcelo during Sunday’s home defeat by Rennes
The Brazilian has made it clear he wishes to leave the club and fears for his family’s safety
And another crude banner which read ‘keep your fingers for your wife’ was unveiled by fans during the Ligue 1 clash against Rennes.
Juninho told Brazilian outlet Esporte Interativo: ‘The situation is very difficult. He had a personal issue with a supporter, just one, we should underline that, not all the fans.
‘However, it is one of the leaders of this group (Bad Gones) and so they have all ganged up against Marcelo. It is said, I regret that it has happened.
‘He is a Brazilian, a player who nobody can reproach in terms of his work and how much he invests on a daily basis.
Lyon defender Marcelo was confronted by his own fans and a banner labelling him a ‘donkey’
The Brazilian defender responded with an angry gesture after fans singled him out for abuse
‘He was in the starting XI last season. This season, he is a substitute, and he has never caused us even the smallest of problems. He will continue to train, make effort. But we have kind of arrived at an end point.’
‘Marcelo’s situation is complex, he has genuinely asked to leave. But he also understands that he has another 18 months on his contract.
‘He is an experienced player. If we are able to find a solution that will be good for us, good for Marcelo and that allows us to strengthen, we will try. He is our 3rd central defender, the one who comes on and often does well.
‘If we can find the right solution for everyone, we will try to do so. If not, we will have to face this situation, like he is doing right now, until the end of the season, because we need him.’