Madeleine McCann suspect Christian Brueckner has spoken for the first time about the case and lashes out at claims he was involved, in a letter seen exclusively by MailOnline.
In the five pages Brueckner, 45, who was sensationally named as the man responsible for Madeleine’s abduction describes himself as ‘the most known bad person in the world’.
The convicted rapist, who was made an ‘arguido’ or official suspect in the case earlier this week stressed he was ‘not there at the time and that he wasn’t living close to the place’.
Madeleine vanished from the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz in May 2007 where she was on holiday with her parents Kate and Gerry and siblings.
Brueckner, who has been linked to four other child murders across Europe since 1996, was sensationally named by German prosecutors as the man ‘responsible’ for Madeleine’s kidnap and murder in June 2020.
On Thursday, the child sex offender was handed a document in prison informing him he was being made an ‘arguido’ by Portuguese prosecutors.
German detectives interviewed Brueckner at Oldenburg jail, where he is serving a rape sentence.
Brueckner said in the letter: ‘Welcome to the biggest adventure you can imagine.
‘I’m the most-known bad person in the world and I did nothing – well almost nothing.’
Convicted rapist Christian Brueckner, 44, was identified by German police in June 2020 with prosecutors saying they believed he had murdered Madeleine McCann
Madeleine (pictured) vanished from the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz in May 2007 where she was on holiday with her parents Kate and Gerry and siblings.
‘They don’t have proof’: Madeleine McCann suspect Brueckner claims in a letter (pictured) penned from his prison cell in northern Germany
German detectives interviewed Brueckner at Oldenburg jail (pictured), where he is serving a rape sentence.
He added: ‘I wasn’t kidnapping anybody and of course I wasn’t killing anybody.
‘I’ll go further, I’ll tell you I wasn’t attacking anybody after I was 18.
‘I made some silly mistakes when I was younger but who hasn’t?’
Then referring to the McCann case Brueckner said: ‘Perhaps I was a suspect after all they found out about me.
‘Drug dealer, breaking into houses, living in cars and there was something with kids when I was 17.
‘But they had (sic) not even one proof that I was involved with the McCann case. And they still don’t have it.
‘I know why. Because they have no hairs or anything from Maddie what means (sic) that nobody can put anything like that into my stuff to find it.
‘The idea behind that all perhaps was to make the BKA (German police) and German prosecutor famous as well known all over the world as the smartest organisation ever.’
It is suspected that Brueckner received a telephone call shortly before three year old Maddie was abducted from her ground floor apartment. Pictured: The Ocean Club in Praia da Luz, where Madeleine disappeared during a family holiday in 2007
He added how there was ‘no proof’ against him and that the authorities in Germany were leaking information to portray him in a bad light.
Brueckner wrote:’I know of about five open cases against me all of them including raping and abusing.
‘They have manipulated the truth in such an unprofessional way that I am laughing.
‘I still have not lost my sense of humour. Even in this critical situation. This is what keeps me alive.’
The letter was sent to a woman who the MailOnline is not identifying from his German prison cell where he is serving seven years for rape.
It comes just days after Brueckner wrote to MailOnline complaining of his treatment and of how police had yet to question him about the McCann case.
In that letter – the first to a British media organisation – he said: ‘I haven’t been questioned on any allegations as required by German law, but it is obvious the German authorities and especially the Department of Justice, are providing the media with information about me that is likely to make me appear contemptible.
‘This also applies to the authorities at the correctional facility in which I am currently being held.’
But he was finally quizzed by German investigators on Thursday this week, who asked him a series of questions including: ‘Where were you the night Madeleine McCann disappeared? If you weren’t by the apartment she disappeared from, where were you?’
Investigators are now combing the VW van Brueckner drove while living on the Algarve, where Madeleine vanished on May 3, 2007, aged three from her family’s holiday apartment in the beach resort of Praia da Luz.
Sources have said he answered none of the questions asked to him.
Brueckner is also under investigation for two further rapes carried out in Portugal close to where she vanished.
Madeleine’s parents ‘welcomed’ the news this week that Brueckner had been made an ‘arguido’.
Parents Kate and Gerry McCann will welcome the latest development in their daughter’s case, a source said
On May 3 it will be the 15th anniversary of then three-year old Madeleine’s disappearance from her holiday apartment in the Praia da Luz resort in the Algarve, Portugal
Kate and Gerry said they were fully aware of the latest development in the case – and are understood to be encouraged by the news.
A source close to the couple told MailOnline: ‘Anything that implies progress in the case is to be welcomed and that is the view of both Kate and Gerry.
‘They won’t be saying anything publicly just yet but that’s not to say they won’t in the next few days ahead of the anniversary of Madeleine’s disappearance.
‘Kate and Gerry both still have hope they will get answers in due course to what happened to Madeleine and anything which goes towards that is welcomed.’
The couple later added in a statement: ‘We welcome the news that the Portuguese authorities have declared a German man an ‘arguido’ in relation to the disappearance of our beloved daughter Madeleine.
‘This reflects progress in the investigation, being conducted by the Portuguese, German and British authorities. We are kept informed of developments by the Metropolitan police.
Madeleine McCann would have turned 18 last year. In 2012, five years after her disappearance, her family issued an age progression efit photo to show what Madeleine may have looked like aged nine (right)
‘It is important to note the ‘arguido’ has not yet been charged with any specific crime related to Madeleine’s disappearance.
‘Even though the possibility may be slim, we have not given up hope that Madeleine is still alive and we will be reunited with her.’
Earlier this year it was reported that Home Office funding for Operation Grange – the Metropolitan Police investigation into their daughter’s disappearance – would be shelved in the autumn but their was no official response from Kate and Gerry.
Hans-Christian Wolters, from the Brunswick prosecutor’s office in Germany, revealed this week that Bruekner faces investigation over at least two other rape cases.
Wolters said: ‘We haven’t spoken in depth about the other two cases, but I confirm we are looking into them.
‘These are two further rape cases and are in addition to the sexual assault on a little girl at the beach and the case of Hazel Behan.
‘These two rape cases are from evidence provided at Brueckner’s trial in 2019 from two witnesses who said they found footage on a video camera of him attacking these two women.
On May 3, 2007 Kate and Gerry McCann went to a small tapas bar metres away from their apartment to dine with friends. But when Kate returned to do a routine check on their children, she found that Madeleine had disappeared
The last photograph taken of Madeleine shows her smiling next to her little sister Amelie and their father Gerry at 1.30pm on May 3, 2007 in Portugal, the day she went missing
‘We have not been able to identify either of the victims.
‘We actually hope to have these cases all closed within the next few weeks and then it will be possible to consider charges for these but for the Madeleine McCann investigation we still need more time.’
The new allegations stem from a video camera found by two former friends of Brueckner but which has since disappeared.
Footage found on the camera allegedly shows an ‘older’ woman asking for ‘help’ in Italian as she is being whipped and raped by a masked man.
According to the men who have seen and described the footage, the attacker then takes off his mask and they say it is clearly Brueckner.
While another clip, according to the men, shows a younger woman, speaking German, tied to a wooden beam in his house, as she begs to be freed.
The men told police they also recognised the man in the second video as Brueckner and that it was filmed in his Portuguese home.
Their testimony was used to convict Brueckner of raping a 72-year-old American woman in Praia da Luz just two years before Madeleine was abducted.
The victims have never been identified but Mr Wolters said:’The additional rape cases are from the testimony of the witnesses at his trial who described what they had seen on a video they found at Mr Brueckner’s house.’
These two new alleged rapes are in addition to a sex assault on a ten-year-old girl and another rape, that of Irish tour guide Hazel Behan, who has waived her right to anonymity and both of which happened in the same area.
Brueckner is currently serving a seven-year jail term for the rape of the elderly American woman in her home at Praia da Luz in 2005 and was convicted in Germany in December 2019.