- Melbourne man will face court Tuesday over allegedly funding an ISIS terrorist
- The arrest follows a Victorian Joint Counter Terrorism Team investigation
- Officers say the man poses no current or impending threat to the community
A Melbourne man believed to be providing financial support to a senior Islamic State terrorist was arrested Tuesday morning.
The 43-year-old from the south eastern suburb of Hampton Park, was allegedly supporting individuals involved in the Syrian conflict.
He faces charges of providing support to a person who has entered a foreign state with the intention of undertaking hostile activities.
The arrest was the result of a Victorian Joint Counter Terrorism Team investigation which had been under way for more than 16 months.
‘These types of investigations are complex and protracted,’ AFP Assistant Commissioner Ian McCartney said.
‘Our investigators invest countless hours to ensure the safety of Australians, and to bring to account those who seek to harm our community and way of life.’
The man was arrested from his home by the JCTT, which comprises of officers from the Australian Federal Police, ASIO, and Victoria Police.
A Melbourne man believed to be providing financial support to a senior Islamic State terrorist was arrested Tuesday morning. Pictured, a member loyal to ISIS in Raqqa in 2014
His arrest will hopefully serve as a warning to others who support the conflict in Syria, according to Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Specialist Operations Shane Patton.
‘This arrest sends a very strong message of deterrence to those who would seek to provide support or fund terrorism that they will be investigated and held to account,’ Deputy Commissioner Patton said.
‘It is another example of a successful operation involving the Joint Counter Terrorism Team targeting terrorism.’
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.