News, Culture & Society

Man accused of killing three people claims he’s innocent and police are ‘100 per cent’ wrong

An alleged suspect in a series of killings has admitted to media that he is indeed a suspect in three murders dating back to 1998.

From his home in Mildura, Steven Hainsworth, 43, told 9 News on Wednesday he wants to see whoever is responsible for the deaths to be caught.

‘I hope whoever is responsible is caught and I’ve got the monkey off my back,’ he said.

  

Steven Hainsworth, 43, spoke to media at his home in Mildura today and told them he wants to see whoever is responsible for the deaths to be caught

The cold cases of three people murdered over a 13 year period are forensically linked and the work of a serial killer, detectives have revealed (pictured is Phyllis Harrison)

The cold cases of three people murdered over a 13 year period are forensically linked and the work of a serial killer, detectives have revealed (pictured is Phyllis Harrison)

‘That’s what I ask, for the person responsible for any of the murders to be caught and the monkey to be pulled off my back and the people that have doubted me, they can apologise to me.’  

Mr Hainsworth said police were ‘100 per cent’ wrong in their allegations. 

Mr Hainsworth is allegedly linked to three brutal murders over 13 years, but he has not been arrested because the case against him is not strong enough, detectives say. 

Grandmothers Phyllis Harrison, 71, and Beverley Hanley, 64, were murdered in 1998 and 2010 respectively, and their Adelaide homes were ransacked.  

Stephen Newton, 55, was found almost two months after being attacked in his unit in 2011, and items were stolen from his home.    

He said the police were close to making the arrest, but appealed for more people to come forward and offer their assistance.  

Julie Lane, victim’s daughter, pleaded with the public to help bring the murderer to justice.

‘This person needs to be caught, this person needs to pay for what he did. Our life hasn’t been the same since,’ she said.   

Major Crime detectives said they are certain the killings, which took place between 1998 and 2011 in South Australia, were committed by the same man (pictured is Beverley Hanley)

Major Crime detectives said they are certain the killings, which took place between 1998 and 2011 in South Australia, were committed by the same man (pictured is Beverley Hanley)

Grandmothers Phyllis Harrison, 71, and Beverly Hanley, 64, were murdered in 1998 and 2010 respectively, and their Adelaide homes were ransacked (pictured is Stephen Newton)

Grandmothers Phyllis Harrison, 71, and Beverly Hanley, 64, were murdered in 1998 and 2010 respectively, and their Adelaide homes were ransacked (pictured is Stephen Newton)

THE THREE VICTIMS 

Phyllis May Harrison

The 71-year-old was founded dead in her home in Harvey Rd, Elizabeth South on Tuesday 3 March 1998. She had suffered multiple stab wounds.

Her house was ransacked, but it is unclear what was stolen.

Beverley Ellen Hanley

The body of the 64-year-old was found at her home address in Homington Rd, Elizabeth North on Wednesday 6 October 2010 and she is believed to have been killed earlier that day.

She had suffered severe head injuries, her house ransacked and her handbag stolen.

Stephen Hugh Newton

The decomposing body of the 55-year-old was found in his home on Davison St, Mount Gambier on Friday November 4, 2011. He died as a result of an assault.

A range of items including a TV, DVDs, a computer game console, and games were taken.

Police believe it is more likely that he was killed sometime between 23 and 29 September but not found until 4 November.

Source: SA Police

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.