A Sydney man says his digital scale exploded ‘out of nowhere’, leaving him panicked and his bathroom covered in glass.
Jean Franco Vilaro, who purchased the scale from Kmart for $15, told Daily Mail Australia he had grabbed the scale with the intention to clean the floor under it when it shattered.
‘I was in a panic, there was glass all over and also all over the carpet which is right next to my toilet,’ he said.
Sydney man Jean Franco Vilaro says his bathroom scale (pictured) exploded ‘out of nowhere’ on Friday
Mr Vilaro says he had just grabbed the scale to move it when it shattered, leaving him panicked
The man says he scooped up the glass and put it aside to show the popular discount department store.
Mr Vilaro says he was not hurt by the explosion on Friday night, but feared it could happen to other people.
‘Thankfully I wasn’t injured but imagine having children around,’ he said.
‘I think it is important people know how dangerous this could be, as it was a major fault.’
Pictures show the scale, which claims it can hold up to 150 kilograms at the time, shattered across the sections that remain, with fragments of glass surrounding it.
In the middle, a large chunk is seen missing from the common household item.
Mr Vilaro contacted Kmart via Facebook, who said they were ‘concerned’ about the incident, and asked for a phone number to call him on.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted Kmart for comment, and is not alleging other scales of this brand are faulty.
Shards of glass from the Kmart-bought scale are seen scattered around Mr Vilaro’s bathroom
The scale, which retails for $15, says it can withstand weight of up to 150 kilograms