Man ‘scalped’ his lover and stabbed her to death in front of her two-year-old daughter

Tre Cameron (pictured) stabbed Vanessa James 26 times in a brutal killing at her home in Enfield

A personal trainer is facing life behind bars after ‘scalping’ and stabbing his lover to death in front of her two-year-old daughter while high on a concoction of cocaine and cannabis. 

Vanessa James, 24, was brutally murdered by Tre Cameron, 22, after she invited him to stay to night at her home in Enfield, London, after they had shared a meal and watched Big Brother.

Knife-wielding Cameron chased her out of the bedroom in the early hours of the morning, shouting: ‘You are going to see the real Lucifer.’

He stabbed her 26 times in the head, face, eye, neck and chest as she and her cousin tried to escape with the children.

James was left lying in a pool of blood on her doorstep at 6.30am on July 20, 2016.

Upon arrival, police found Cameron cupping his genitals with his left hand while rambling about Lucifer and being transgender.

An officer who was at the scene described it was the ‘most horrific thing’ he had ever seen, adding: ‘It looked like she had been scalped.’ 

A court heard riot shields were used by police although they were forced to use a taser to subdue him. 

After being brought down, Cameron asked: ‘What am I going to get for this? Have I just killed someone?’ and then suggested he could resurrect the victim.

Police searched his home in Hackney, east London, the next day and found holes the size of a fist in the walls as well as cocaine and Bibles.

James and Cameron had met two or three weeks before she was killed and had eaten a meal on the evening of July 19, 2016.

He was seen gulping rum every time Ms James left the room by her cousin Chanta Humphreys. 

They had stayed up until 1am watching television when Cameron asked if he could stay the night.

Vanessa James was brutally murdered at her home in July 2016

Vanessa James was brutally murdered at her home in July 2016

In the early hours of the morning, James burst into her cousin’s bedroom with blood gushing from her thigh and told her to call the police.

Ms Humphreys grabbed the children and saw her cousin lying in the hallway as they left the flat to get help from neighbours.   

Cameron was found guilty of murder following an eight-day trial at the Inner London Crown Court.

He admitted manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility after claiming he was mentally ill at the time. 

Alison Hunter, QC, prosecuting, had told jurors ‘Was the defendant in a psychotic state because he had voluntarily consumed illegal drugs?

‘He had consumed cocaine and cannabis. He was in a state of voluntarily induced intoxication.

‘Or, was there some underlying medical cause for his behaviour?’ 

Cameron was remanded in custody by Judge Usha Karu ahead of sentencing this Friday.