- Leonard Graumenz, 59, was arrested on Saturday for lying about shooting a cop
- He allegedly arrived at his neighbor’s home with his wrist handcuffed as a ‘joke’
- Graumenz reportedly told the woman he shot the trooper after he crashed truck
- His neighbor believed him and called 911 to report the incident, police said
- Graumenz was charged with reckless endangerment and falsely reporting crime
Leonard Graumenz (pictured), 59, was arrested Saturday for allegedly lying about shooting a state trooper
A New York man who thought ‘joking’ about shooting a state trooper was funny has been arrested after his neighbor called 911.
Leonard Graumenz, 59, is facing charges of reckless endangerment and falsely reporting a crime.
Police said he showed up at a neighbor’s home on Saturday with handcuffs attached to his wrist and claimed to have just shot a state trooper.
Graumenz, of 357 County Route 23, had allegedly attached the handcuffs himself.
He then told his neighbor he had crashed his truck and shot a trooper who was trying to arrest him over the made-up accident, police said.
But Graumenz didn’t expect his neighbor to actually fall for the joke and call 911.
Police said after responding to the neighbor’s 911 call, troopers determined Graumenz had made it all up.
He was issued a ticket and ordered to appear in Constantia court on September 18.
A message left at a phone listing for Graumenz in Constantia wasn’t returned.
Police said after responding to the neighbor’s 911 call, troopers (file image) determined Graumenz had made it all up. He was issued a ticket and ordered to appear in Constantia court on September 18