Met police drop probe into ex-Tory Minister arrested on suspicion of raping Commons researcher

Met police DROP probe into ex-Tory Minister arrested on suspicion of raping Commons researcher

  • Met Police confirmed yesterday the case ‘did not meet the evidential test’
  • Friends of MP last night spoke of relief that the investigation had finished
  • They have consistently insisted there is no truth to the allegations 

The former Tory Minister arrested on suspicion of raping a Commons researcher will face no further action after police dropped their inquiries, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed yesterday that the case ‘did not meet the evidential test’ despite a thorough investigation of the allegations.

Friends of the MP, who has consistently maintained his innocence, last night spoke of his relief that the probe was over.

The move will leave the former Government Minister, who has voluntarily stayed away from the Commons since his arrest, free to return to Westminster this week.

The Palace of Westminster, comprising both houses of parliament, the House of Commons and the House of Lords, is silhouetted in the late autumn sun in central London (file photo)

Only last week, allies of the politician had appealed to Scotland Yard to ‘end his torment’, saying that after four months of inquiries, police should be able to bring their investigation to an end.

The man, who the Sunday Times reported has been carrying out parliamentary duties from home since his arrest, has been told of the police decision.

The alleged victim told the paper she intends to appeal against the decision under the Victims’ Right to Review Scheme.

The Mail on Sunday revealed in August how the politician was arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault against a young Commons researcher.

His accuser alleged that she was assaulted four times between July 2019 and January this year, including claims of a rape necessitating hospital treatment.

After his arrest, the MP was released on police bail which was eventually lifted in mid-October, although police insisted he remained under investigation for assault, sexual assault and rape.

However, in a statement yesterday, the Met said: ‘Following a thorough investigation and based on all evidence made available to officers, the decision was taken that the case did not meet the evidential test and no further action will be taken.

‘The complainant has been made aware of the decision.’

The Mail on Sunday revealed last week that the police inquiry had included taking evidence from Conservative Chief Whip Mark Spencer, who is understood to have met the complainant before she went to the police but did not take the allegations further, partly as he did not believe there was any mention of a sexual assault.

Last night, one friend of the MP said: ‘The last four-and-a-half months have been a living nightmare for this MP.

‘But hopefully, now that the Met have finally concluded a thorough investigation and recommended discontinuing the case as a result, he and his loved ones can at last return to some kind of normal life.’