‘If I wanna fight I’m gonna f****** fight!’: Mike Tyson reveals he phoned Dana White to blast him for questioning exhibition bout with Roy Jones Jr… and heavyweight legend says he was paid $100m for contest
- Mike Tyson returned to the ring for the first time in 15 years last November
- Tyson, 54, impressed during his eight-round exhibition vs Roy Jones Jr last year
- UFC president Dana White publicly criticised the bout before it took place
- Tyson says he was paid $100million dollars to take the Los Angeles exhibition
It’s not wise to anger someone once known as the ‘Baddest Man on the Planet’ but Dana White did just that when he questioned Mike Tyson for fighting Roy Jones Jr.
Tyson had tongues wagging when he impressed in an eight-round exhibition with Roy Jones Jr on November 28 – a contest that ended in a draw, although many felt that ‘Iron Mike’ had won.
It was the American’s first contest in 15 years since retiring in 2005 but at the age of 54, White disapproved of him fighting – much to his wrath.
Dana White (centre) says he angered Mike Tyson (left) with his views over his boxing comeback
Tyson impressed against Roy Jones Jr during their eight-round exhibition on November 28
It was the 54-year-old’s first fight in 15 years following his initial retirement in 2005
The UFC president publicly criticised Tyson for returning to the ring saying: ‘They’re not allowed to knock each other out?
‘How do you enforce that? I’d like to bet that doesn’t happen. Can you bet on that?’
White’s public sentiments didn’t sit well with Tyson who rang him to voice his displeasure. And the boxer’s viewpoint has apparently swayed White’s thinking as he revealed on the former’s podcast.
‘Somebody asked me at a press conference about it and I said “I don’t like it, I don’t want them to do it, this and that…”,’ White explained a guest on the Hotboxin’ with Mike Tyson podcast.
‘Then he called me and was like: “Listen man, we’ve been friends for a long time but I’m a grown ass man, if I wanna fight I’m gonna f****** fight! Don’t be f****** negative about my fight.
‘And I said “you know what, you’re right. You won’t hear a f****** peep out of me again”.
‘Then when I watched the fight I thought he looked really f****** good.’
White felt there was no need for Tyson to fight at his age – much to heavyweight legend’s anger
Tyson then responded by declaring the financial incentives were too good to pass up on as he was offered $100million (£71.7m) to take the bout – more than what he got during his heyday.
‘Forget that though and listen to this. I’m 54 and they are going to give me $100m fight and you think that I’m going to say no?
‘That’s more than I got fighting for championships!’
White replied: ‘I love the guy but I just have this thing when you get to a certain age it is tough to perform at a level you did when you were younger.
‘There’s no reason… he can make money anywhere and doing anything.
‘But, he’s not wrong and I will admit it, when you get offered that sort of f****** money, it’s hard to turn down to do something you’ve been good at your entire life.’
At present it is unclear what Tyson, who has expressed a desire to fight again, will do next. Evander Holyfield is keen to face his former foe in a trilogy bout.
Tyson says he made $100m from that exhibition – more than when he fought as a professional