Mohamed Hadid was seen looks downbeat as he ventured out in his native Los Angeles Tuesday, on the heels of a judge ordering him to demolish his Bel-Air mansion, citing safety violations.
The 71-year-old mogul wore an all-black ensemble of a leather coat with a shot, jeans and boots.
He had his floppy grey mane down and was seen entering information into his phone as he walked down the street.
Out and about: Mohamed Hadid, 71, was seen looks downbeat as he ventured out in his native Los Angeles Tuesday, on the heels of a judge ordering him to demolish his Bel-Air mansion, citing safety violations
The real estate developer, who’s father to models Gigi, 24, Bella, 23, and Anwar Hadid, 20, was out in the City of Angeles after Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Craig Karlan said Hadid’s property ‘must come down.’
The judge said at it’s ‘clear and present danger’ to neighboring properties, and that Hadid’s neighbors would be ‘at legitimate risk of danger to their homes’ if Hadid’s home was allowed to stand.
Hadid had been hoping to move the 30,000-sq. ft. residence – which is nicknamed the ‘Starship Enterprise’ – for $100 million, but Karlan ordered court-appointed receiver Douglas Wilson to oversee the elimination of the ‘eyesore,’ citing severe landscaping hazards.
‘If this house came down the hill,’ the judge said, ‘it would take a portion of the neighborhood with it.’
Downcast: The real estate mogul appeared to be glum less than a week after his mansion was ordered to be demolished by an LA court
Judge Craig Karlan ruled the 30,000-square foot was ‘clear and present danger’ to nearby homes in its exclusive Bel Air neighborhoo. Judge Karlan appointed receiver Douglas Wilson responsibility of demolishing the ‘eyesore’, which has been dubbed the ‘Starship Enterprise’
In his ruling, Karlan noted that a structural engineer Hadid hired had said in a report that the home’s base did not meet building regulations, as support piles mandated to be 30 feet deep into the bedrock were only 20 feet deep.
‘We’re not talking about an extra wall or a different way into he kitchen,’ Karlan said. ‘We’re talking about the most significant aspect of the structure: The foundation.’
When Hadid’s lawyer, Larry Rothstein, asked the judge if he wanted the mammoth house torn down because it doesn’t comply with building codes or because it’s a public nuisance, Judge Karlan replied, ‘Both – it’s a danger to the community.’
The judge rejected Rothstein’s claim that though the half-built house does not comply with building codes, ‘it is still safe’ and inadequate piles could be retrofitted.
Property tycoon Mohamed Hadid’s controversial Los Angeles mega-mansion is a ‘clear and present danger’ to nearby homes and ‘must come down,’ a judge has declared.
Hadid, who was in court wearing his trademark black suit and tie, has a $17m loan on the property, which he has personally guaranteed, said an attorney for First Credit Bank – who estimated that the site, with it’s illegally built house on it, is now only worth about $8m
The 71-year-old is facing a civil lawsuit brought by angry neighbors who claim the half-finished project is not only an ‘eyesore’ and a ‘monstrosity’, but also a dangerously unstable hazard to their homes. Pictured: Hadid’s home and his neighbors homes below it
And when Rothstein said that before the house could be torn down there should be a study on the impact of the demolition on the site and the surrounding area, Judge Karlan retorted, ‘It’s a little late to be asking for a report now on the stability of the site.
‘This project has been there in this condition for seven or eight years,’ the judge said. ‘If this had been any other house in LA it would have been demolished five years ago.’
Hadid, who was in court wearing his trademark black suit and tie, has a $17 million loan on the property which he has personally guaranteed, said an attorney for First Credit Bank – who estimated that the site is now only worth about $8 million in the wake of the court ruling.
Neighbors have been fighting for years for the demolition of the property because of all the alleged unapproved construction, while its development has also been an eyesore to nearby residents.
Judge Karlan added: ‘That’s black and white to me – it’s a clear and present danger. It’s not even a close call that (neighbors) are at legitimate risk of danger to their homes’
Neighbors have been fighting for years for the demolition of the property because of all the alleged unapproved construction. The development of the home has also been an eyesore to nearby residents
At a hearing before Judge Karlan last week, another attorney for Hadid named Bruce Rudman told the court his client ‘can’t afford’ to pay around $5 million for the demolition or receiver Douglas Wilson’s fee of $500,000.
Hadid’s claim to be broke were mocked by Ariel Neuman, an attorney for the neighbors who said: ‘It’s amazing to me because he just bought a multi-million home in Beverly Hills.
‘We don’t accept this explanation. We don’t accept Mr. Hadid’s word for anything.’
Two weeks ago, Judge Karlan visited the construction site to see first hand progress on the removal of the home’s illegally-built third floor and pool deck, a partial demolition he had ordered to make the building safer and bring it into line with local planning regulations.
Last week Hadid’s lawyer told the court his client ‘can’t afford’ to pay around $5 million for the demolition, or a $500k fee to pay the receiver. Hadid is the father of young supermodels Bella and Gigi Hadid, snapped in NYC in September
Earlier this month, Judge Karlan visited Hadid’s construction site to see first hand the progress on the removal of the home’s illegally-built third floor and pool deck, a partial demolition he had ordered to make the building safer and bring it into line with local planning regulations
In exclusive DailyMail.com photos, he was seen at the site pointing out various aspects.
He also wanted to check out neighbors’ claims that illegally-graded slopes, unapproved retaining walls and inadequate foundation supports all make the colossal site so ‘frightening’ and ‘precarious’ that Hadid’s own architect said, ‘I’m worried that building will slide down the hill and kill someone.’
Hadid previously told TMZ that the home ‘has not moved a millimeter’ and ‘has never been an imminent danger to the neighbors.’
The civil case before Judge Karlan is running parallel with a criminal case in which Hadid has already pleaded no contest to illegal construction and is serving three years probation on condition he bring the house into compliance with building regulations – or tear it down – within that time.
Earlier this month, city prosecutors filed a motion in the criminal case calling for the massive home to be completely demolished by April 1 of 2020. The judge in the criminal case, Judge Neetu Badhan-Smith, scheduled a hearing for December 13 to rule on the motion.