A Florida mom-of-two is facing a life sentence after she was found guilty of shooting dead a teenager over claims he molested her six-year-old daughter.
Connie Serbu, 43, of East Naples, was convicted of second-degree murder by a jury on Thursday, for the 2016 shooting death of Xavier Sierra.
Jurors delivered their verdict after a week-long trial, where prosecutors said that Serbu wanted revenge after her daughter told a babysitter that Sierra had touched her inappropriately.
Connie Serbu, 43, (left) was convicted of second-degree murder on Thursday, for the 2016 shooting death of Xavier Sierra (right)
At the time, she was six and Sierra was about 12 or 13, reports the Naples Daily News.
The entire murder plot began to unfold on May 30, 2016, when Serbu’s daughter revealed that Sierra, a family friend, had a molested her five years prior.
Her daughter’s allegations reportedly enraged Serbu, a married mom, who began to plot her retaliation.
On June 1, 2016, Serbu reached out to Sierra and asked the recent high school graduate to help her assemble a bunk bed for ‘easy money.’
Seven days later John Vargas, Serbu’s developmentally disabled brother, arrived in Naples to visit his sister from New York.
Court records describe Vargas as someone ‘easily persuaded.’
The two siblings went to a local Family Dollar store where, in separate cash transactions, they purchased a flip-phone and a Verizon rechargeable card for the phone.
The flip-phone was reportedly used to communicate exclusively with Sierra through through text and Facebook messenger. It was through these electronic interactions that Serbu confirmed Sierra would be able to help build the bunk bed on July 7.
On that day, Sierra had conducted a job interview at a spray-and-neuter clinic and reportedly waited for Serbu to pick him up from a nearby Winn-Dixie supermarket.
Serbu and Vargas left their residence wearing dark, tight clothes, head covers and the soles of their shoes covered in duct tape. They also brought two handguns, two stun guns, an ice pick and a potato that was used to silence one of the handguns.
Connie Serbu texted Sierra (pictured) inviting him to come over and build a bunk bed for cash. But when she went to pick him up, they drove to the woods when he was murdered
Serbu and her brother John Vargas were alleged to have driven Sierra to an undeveloped, wooded area (pictured) at 700 block of Goodlette Road North
Sometime before Serbu allegedly committed the murder, she told her husband to prepare to take care of their two children alone because, ‘she was going to do something.’
They picked Sierra up around 3pm and during the car ride Serbu confronted him about the molestation claims.
The siblings drove Sierra to a remote, undeveloped area at 700 block of Goodlette Road North.
Sierra was able to exit the van and began sprinting away into the nearby woods with Serbu and Vargas chasing him.
Serbu (pictured above) confessed her involvement, saying: ‘It’s all my fault.’ ‘So I don’t care, he raped my daughter… she told me everything that happened.’ Serbu’s conviction could land her in prison for the rest of her life. She now awaits sentencing on January 3
At one point during the altercation, Sierra began to struggle with Vargas and began to wrestle him for one of the handguns. Sierra suffered bullet wounds from both handguns and Vargas was fatally shot in his abdomen.
Later that day, officers responded to a report that gunshots had been fired at the undeveloped location where Serbu attacked Sierra.
There, they found a blue, four-door Hyundai parked near the scene and Serbu inside.
After searching the area, the found the bodies of Sierra and Vargas near the Gordon River.
Serbu confessed her involvement, saying: ‘It’s all my fault.’
‘So I don’t care, he raped my daughter…she told me everything that happened.’
Serbu’s conviction could land her in prison for the rest of her life. She now awaits sentencing on January 3.