This is the shocking moment a man’s vape battery exploded burning his arm and sending flames shooting up his body.
Liam Moriarty, 33, a lorry driver, was waiting for a collection in Dartford, Kent, when a spare battery exploded after falling from his pocket.
He had reclined his seat when the battery fell into his chair’s mechanism.
Liam, who is from southeast London, said: ‘The tilt mechanism for the chair pinched the battery, just my luck.
‘There was a loud hissing sound and by the time I looked up the flame came up and burnt my elbow.’
Liam Moriarty a lorry driver, was waiting for a collection in Dartford, Kent, when it happened
He had reclined his seat when the battery fell into his chair’s mechanism and the disaster hit
The truck is ADR equipped, which means it is able to carry dangerous goods and had a fire extinguisher ready.
Lima used the extinguisher to put out the flames and was able to save himself and the truck.
He said there was a bed and other flammable items nearby which means the cab could have ignited and destroyed the £130,000 lorry.
Liam said: ‘It’s just the fact that it’s an ADR-equipped truck that the fire extinguisher was there.
The tilt mechanism for the chair pinched the battery causing the nightmare to begin inside
Liam used the extinguisher to put out the flames and was able to save himself and the truck
‘On the side with the cog mechanism, there’s a bed, a seat, all things that can burn, it might have gone up in flames.’
Luckily his injuries were not severe and the flames only singed his skin a little.
Liam said: ‘I was more worried about the lorry which was was a three-month-old vehicle.
‘I wouldn’t have a job and there would be a massive insurance claim. Each one of those lorries costs £130,000.
‘It would have been massive.’