News, Culture & Society

MP Matthew Canavan not disqualified from parliament

Nationals senator Matthew Canavan has escaped a bombshell High Court ruling that saw five federal politicians disqualified from Parliament amid a dual-citizenship scandal.

After months of debate the Gold-Coast born politician emerged unscathed on Friday along with crossbencher Nick Xenophon when the pair were deemed eligible.

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, his deputy Fiona Nash, One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts, and former Greens senators Scott Ludlam and Larissa Waters were all ruled out.

Canavan became embroiled in the ‘citizenship seven’ scandal earlier this year after claims arose that his mother Maria had registered him to become an Italian citizen in 2006 when she applied.

Nationals senator Matthew Canavan has escaped a bombshell high court ruling that saw five federal politicians disqualified from Parliament

The Queensland politician argued that any Italian citizenship had come without his knowledge, with the court agreeing and ruling he had not ‘applied for a declaration’.

‘Following the reporting of Senator Ludlam and Senator Waters, my mother raised with me the possibility I was an Italian citizen,’ he said previously.

‘The Italian authorities have confirmed that the application for citizenship was not signed by me.’

Canavan claimed he had ‘no suspicions’ that he could be an Italian citizen at the time and renounced any claims to Italian citizenship.

Under the new ruling he is now eligible to remain in Parliament, with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull announcing he would be sworn back into Cabinet as the Minister for Resources. 

In a statement following the ruling, Canavan said he welcomed the decision but was ‘gutted for my colleagues Barnaby and Fiona’. 

‘Although I have remained active in the past few months, I look forward to getting stuck back in to delivering long term results for all Queenslanders,’ he said. 

‘If anything this experience has only strengthened my resolve for those things that make people’s lives better like a secure job, a loving family and a safe Australia.’ 

Crossbencher Nick Xenophon was also ruled eligible alongside the Gold-Coast born politician

While Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce was among the five who were sensationally ruled out

The Gold-Coast born politician emerged unscathed on Friday along with crossbencher Nick Xenophon (left), while Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce (right) was among those sensationally ruled ineligible

Social media erupted following the landmark ruling, many people taking the opportunity to poke fun at Canavan's mother's part in the drama after claims she had unknowingly registered him as an Italian citizen in 2006

Social media erupted following the landmark ruling, many people taking the opportunity to poke fun at Canavan’s mother’s part in the drama after claims she had unknowingly registered him as an Italian citizen in 2006

Social media erupted following the landmark ruling, many people taking the opportunity to poke fun at Canavan’s mother’s part in the drama.

‘I like to think Matt Canavan is still eligible because his mum said “He’s a good boy! He eats all his pasta!”‘ one person tweeted.

While another added: ‘I hope Matt Canavan gets his mum an extremely nice Christmas present to say sorry.’ 

One shocked Twitter user responded that the politician ‘owed his mum a phone call’, as another suggested a speech, writing: ‘Matt Canavan: First, I’d like to thank my mum’.

Others chose to focus on the Nationals predicament, with one person commenting on Barnaby Joyce’s ineligibility alongside Canavan’s win.

‘In bad news for the Nationals, Barnaby Joyce is gone. And in even worse for news for them, Matt Canavan is staying,’ they joked.

In a statement following the ruling, Canavan said he welcomed the decision but was 'gutted for my colleagues Barnaby and Fiona'

In a statement following the ruling, Canavan said he welcomed the decision but was ‘gutted for my colleagues Barnaby and Fiona’

Under the new ruling Canvan is now eligible to remain in Parliament, with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull announcing he would be sworn back into Cabinet as the Minister for Resources

Under the new ruling Canvan is now eligible to remain in Parliament, with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull announcing he would be sworn back into Cabinet as the Minister for Resources

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.