News, Culture & Society

Mum reunited with Coles staff who saved her life after she COLLAPSED in store: ‘I could have died’

Mum is reunited with the supermarket employee who saved her life after she went into cardiac arrest in the lolly aisle: ‘He is my angel’

  • A Melbourne woman recently went into cardiac arrest in a Coles supermarket 
  • Coles team members administered CPR before the paramedics arrived
  • The mum was in critical condition and went into a five-day induced coma
  • She is now in recovery and called the Coles team ‘angels’ for saving her life

A mum-of-three was recently reunited with members of the Coles team who saved her life after she went into cardiac arrest in the middle of her shopping trip.

Mary Brockhoff, from Melbourne, collapsed in the lolly aisle at Coles Burwood East and immediately went purple in the face.

Connor Ferris, the manager on duty at the time, speedily rushed to her aid and called Triple Zero.

‘Mary was hanging off her trolley and purple in the face so I immediately called for help and moved her onto the ground in a safe position,’ Connor said. 

He added” ‘I don’t know how to describe it. Hearing the news that Mary had woken up from the coma was truly amazing.’

A mum-of-three was recently reunited with members of the Coles team who saved her life after she went into cardiac arrest in the middle of her shopping trip

The Manager on Duty also commenced CPR after advice from Triple Zero and then grabbed the defibrillator and shocked Mary twice before the emergency response team arrived

The Manager on Duty also commenced CPR after advice from Triple Zero and then grabbed the defibrillator and shocked Mary twice before the emergency response team arrived 

The manager also revealed that he commenced CPR after advice from paramedics and then grabbed the defibrillator.

Automated External Defibrillators (AED) are in all Coles supermarkets across Australia and a team member claimed that they have saved ‘one life a week’ this year in stores. 

Mr Ferris also worked with Roy Zeng, the Dairy Manager, and service team member Emilia Cox to give Mary two shocks from the AED, with firefighters arriving and applying a further two shocks before being joined by paramedic crews.

The life-threatening event came as a shock to Mary and her family, none of whom have a history of heart disease

The life-threatening event came as a shock to Mary and her family, none of whom have a history of heart disease

Paramedic Chris Hastings responded to Mary’s case and said her story was a ‘perfect example of the chain of survival’.

‘Mary is incredibly lucky. If she had a cardiac arrest while at home alone, there would have been no one available to call 000 or commence CPR and use a defib,’ he said. 

The life-threatening event came as a shock to Mary and her family, none of whom have a history of heart disease.

Ferris also worked with Roy Zeng (Dairy Manager) and service team member Emilia Cox to give Mary two shocks from the AED, with firefighters arriving and applying a further two shocks before being joined by paramedic crews

Ferris also worked with Roy Zeng (Dairy Manager) and service team member Emilia Cox to give Mary two shocks from the AED, with firefighters arriving and applying a further two shocks before being joined by paramedic crews

Mary spent five days in an induced coma and was only recently discharged from the hospital to go home and continue her recovery

Mary spent five days in an induced coma and was only recently discharged from the hospital to go home and continue her recovery

‘I had no symptoms, no family history and was in none of the risk categories for cardiac arrest,’ Mary said. ‘The quick-thinking of the Coles team members without a doubt saved my life.’

Mary spent five days in an induced coma and was only recently discharged from the hospital to go home and continue her recovery. 

She added: ‘They are angels and my family and I cannot begin to thank them for their heroic actions. They are a significant part of our family life together moving forward.’

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk