News, Culture & Society

New Jersey man found maggots in convenience store sandwich

A New Jersey man found maggots in a sandwich he ordered from a convenience store.

Chris Garcia, 22, bought a buffalo chicken cheesesteak hoagie on Saturday from the Wawa store in Ewing, New Jersey.

After a taking few bites, he noticed sauce on the sandwich was moving.

‘My sauce started going up on my paper wrapper,’ Garcia told The Trentonian on Monday. ‘Sauce isn’t supposed to do that. So I flipped my light back on and I saw two maggots just moving around my sandwich.’

He was eating it at home when he noticed that the sauce was moving

Chris Garcia got his usual order from a Wawa in Ewing, New Jersey, on Saturday and was eating it at home when he noticed that the sauce was moving

Garcia put the sandwich down and noticed two maggots wiggling on the wrapper

He called his mom over and she started taking a video while he threw up in the bathroom

Garcia put the sandwich down and noticed two maggots wiggling on the wrapper. He called his mom over and she started taking a video while he threw up in the bathroom

Garcia showed his mom the sandwich to make sure he was ‘not tripping’.

‘She got out her camera and started recording while I went to the bathroom and starting throwing up,’ Garcia said. 

In the footage, two maggots are seen wiggling on the wrapper near the hoagie.

‘This is something you don’t expect to happen in real life. You see this in movies all the time. But you don’t actually expect to come home, sit down and eat your meal and find something like this,’ he said.

After consuming a couple bites of the foul hoagie, Garcia took the sandwich back to the store with his mother.

‘The guy at Wawa tried to make a little joke out of it,’ Garcia said, noting the employee told him everything would have to be thrown out. 

‘They continued serving sandwiches after we left the restaurant.’

Garcia said he was offered another sandwich or a refund, and he took the refund.

Garcia said he is unsure whether he consumed any of the maggots, but he was treated for parasites in the hospital just in case. He is considering legal action against the store

‘I didn’t think it was handled appropriately,’ Garcia said. ‘I don’t think they really cared.’

A Wawa spokeswoman said the company inspects its stores ‘on a daily basis and have rigorous processes in place to prevent incidents of this type from ever occurring.’ 

Garcia had been going to Wawa for two years before the episode. He ordered the same thing every time: a buffalo chicken cheesesteak hoagie with buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, honey mustard, spinach and pickles. 

He’s unsure if he actually ate any maggots, but was driven to the hospital anyway and given fluids and medicine to kill parasites. 

‘There could’ve been more underneath the meat,’ he said. ‘I did not feel like digging through the meat to see if I could find more.’ 

Garcia is considering legal action against Wawa for the rancid hoagie.

‘It’s not really about the money,’ he said. ‘They can’t be serving food like that. People could really get sick from this.’ 

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.