Newcastle have been warned that they cannot ‘just buy success’, and their supporters are accused of living in ‘dreamland’ if they believe they can now sign the world’s top players by former defender Jonathan Woodgate.
The club’s Saudi Arabia-backed takeover was approved last week, bringing an end to the tumultuous ownership of Mike Ashley, and the mega £305million deal has sparked hopes they will soon be a new footballing superpower.
Indeed, the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Philippe Coutinho and Timo Werner have been linked with moves to St James’ Park, but Woodgate has looked to bring the club crashing back down to earth with his latest comments.
Newcastle have been warned they ‘can’t just buy success’ despite their recent £305m takeover
Supporters celebrated the deal outside St James’ Park, but are accused of being in ‘dreamland’
He has also insisted it is already ‘difficult’ to bring players in at Newcastle, and believes that the takeover has heralded in a long-term project.
Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live’s Friday Football Social, Woodgate, who played on Tyneside in 2003, said: ‘If you look at it and what they (the owners) have to do, they have to build the infrastructure from the bottom over the years.
‘If any player has got anything about him, he goes to Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United. No disrespect to Newcastle, he ain’t going up the road to them.
Paris Saint-Germain’s star striker Kylian Mbappe has sensationally been linked with Newcastle
‘It is hard enough trying to get players up to the North East, I know playing for Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Leeds, it is difficult to get players up there.
‘All the top players have got money, they want to win trophies, they want to play in European finals, they want to get to World Cups, they don’t want to come to Newcastle. No disrespect but I am right.
‘Alan Shearer was a world-class player and signed for Newcastle because he is from Newcastle, he wanted to fulfil a dream. There are not many more world-class players in their pomp playing for that club.
‘For the Newcastle fans to think they are going to get Kylian Mbappe and all these top players, it is dreamland, you have to build it. It isn’t easy, you can’t just buy success. It doesn’t work like that in this league.’
Jonathan Woodgate, the former Newcastle defender, says the takeover is a long-term process
Mike Ashley’s tumultuous ownership of the club was brought to an end following the takeover
Newcastle are now officially the richest side in the world, with the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund worth £300billion in total. There is also an ambition at the club to win the Premier League within a decade, Amanda Staveley claims.
However, their more pressing task will be solving their managerial dilemma. Steve Bruce remains in charge, for now, but Sportsmail has previously reported that it is simply a matter of time before he is sacked by the new regime.
On Friday, it was confirmed by part-owner Staveley that Bruce would be in the dugout for Newcastle’s clash against Tottenham, and the occasion will also mark the 60-year-old’s 1,000th game in management.
The vitriol directed towards him, though, has left Woodgate with a sour taste.
Woodgate has also admitted he is disgusted by the treatment of the under-fire Steve Bruce
‘The way Steve Bruce has been treated has been disgusting,’ he added. ‘This is a manager with his 1,000th game, that is a sign of a successful manager, showing the longevity in the game.
‘The owners will do their due diligence and this a massive moment for the football club. English, foreign, they will be looking at all the top managers. They have money to spend and every manager wants it.
‘They have to get this decision right, it will take 10-12 years, they have to win an FA Cup, League Cup before the Premier League and Champions League.’