A note threatening to kill a neighbour’s dog due to its barking has been left in a letterbox, as pet owners are warned about a spate of poisonings.
RSPCA Western Australia has issued a warning for pet owners after five separate baiting incidents were reported in the state this month.
One dog was found bleeding to death in its own backyard after eating poison that was thrown over the fence.
A note (pictured) threatening to kill a neighbour’s dog due to its barking has been left in a letterbox
The dog was rushed to a vet, but had to be put down.
The letter received by a pet owner in WA was reported to the RSPCA.
‘You have NO idea how close we are to baiting your dog,’ it reads.
‘You are the only people in the street to allow their dog to bark, let alone howl. It’s a horrible noise.
‘One more morning like today and we will poison it. If we don’t do it, our neighbours will.’
Pet owners are being advised to be aware of disturbances caused by their pet and to stop issues from escalating with their neighbours.
One dog was found bleeding to death in its own backyard after eating poison that was thrown over the fence (stock image)
RSPCA WA chief inspector Amanda Swift said baiting was a ‘serious criminal offence’.
Prosecution proceedings are underway for a baiting case from earlier in 2017.
‘The amount of suffering caused by baiting is severe, and those responsible will face significant penalties if caught,’ Ms Swift said.
‘Causing deliberate harm to an animal is not a solution.
‘Even if the animal is the cause of the neighbourly dispute, it is not to blame and shouldn’t be punished in such a vicious and cruel way.
Prosecution proceedings are underway for a baiting case from earlier in 2017 (stock image)
‘There are other ways to resolve problems and baiting should never be an option.’
She asked people to speak to their neighbours if they had any problems with their pets.
‘While no pet owner should ever have to worry about their pet being baited in their own backyard, it is happening, so I’m urging all pet owners to do what they can to reduce the chance of this happening to their beloved family pet.’