- A 17-year-old boy from Ohio was arrested for allegedly strangling his neighbor
- The body of 98-year-old Margaret Douglas was found in her home on April 9
- Police said the body had been hidden in a closet underneath items of clothing
- The teen suspect accused of committing the crime lived near Douglas and most likely knew she lived alone making her an ‘easy target’, investigators said
- The teen was transferred to Medina County Juvenile Detention Center on charges of murder and abuse of a corpse
Margaret Douglas, 98, was found dead in her Wadsworth, Ohio home on April 9
A 17-year-old boy in Ohio has been arrested for the alleged strangling death of his elderly neighbor, police said.
The teen was taken into custody Monday, a week after police found the body of 98-year-old Margaret Douglas stuffed into a closet at her Wadsworth home.
Police Chief Randy Reinke said the suspect, who has not been identified, was found in a Cleveland-area location when he was arrested. Police were tipped off to the teen’s involvement because of break-ins and other crimes committed in the area.
Reinke said the teen lived near the victim’s home and most likely acted alone. Police also said Douglas’ wallet was allegedly found at the teen’s home on Monday.
‘I believe he did know she lived alone and so she was an easy target, vulnerable, but I can’t tell you what was in his mind,’ Reinke told New5 Cleveland.
Authorities found Douglas dead inside her home on April 9 while performing a welfare check. Relatives had reported the widow missing telling police she was last seen on April 5.
According to WKYC 3, the body was hidden in a closet beneath various items of clothing.
Police arrested a 17-year-old boy in connection to the woman’s murder after her body was discovered in a closet at her home
The Cuyahoga County medical examiner’s office has indicated Douglas was strangled. The city prosecutor is expected to seek charges against the teen in Medina County Juvenile Court.
The teen, who is said to be a student at Wadsworth High School, was transferred to Medina County Juvenile Detention Center on charges of murder and abuse of a corpse.