News, Culture & Society

Paramedic’s shocking video highlights the danger of leaving dishwashing tablets

Paramedic’s shocking video highlights the danger of leaving dishwashing tablets anywhere near toddlers and children

  • Nikki from Tiny Hearts Education reveals the real danger of dishwashing tablets
  • The former paramedic and mum-of-two showed a video of three tablet types
  • She said they should always be kept away from children, up high or locked up


Australian paramedic and mum-of-two, Nikki, shared a disturbing video showing just how quickly tablets can dissolve in a child’s mouth

Leaving dishwasher tablets where children can reach them can lead to tragedy in just seconds, child safety experts say.

Australian paramedic and mum-of-two, Nikki, shared a disturbing video showing just how quickly the tablets can dissolve in a child’s mouth.

The Tiny Hearts Education founder said dishwashing tablets may burst in a bub’s mouth in as little as ten seconds, causing severe injuries. 

The busy mum filmed an experiment where she checked how quickly each protective covering dissolved after being exposed to a tiny spray of water.

The back came off the first in a matter of seconds, shocking Nikki.

The second a liquid tablet, popped after Nikki applied ‘a little bit of pressure’. 

 

The busy mum explained the tablets look like lollies to children

But if they manage to put them in their mouths it could have devastating consequences

The tablets, which look like lollies to small children, take seconds to pop when exposed to moisture

The third required some scraping but was soon open like the others.

‘Bottom line, store out of reach of tiny hands,’ she said.

The brightly coloured dishwashing tablets can look like lollies to small children, other explained.

The shocking video appeared popular with the parents who follow Nikki online, with more than 108k people dropping by to watch the life-saving clip.

Some mums shared their own horror stories – admitting they never thought their children would try to eat the tablets.

One woman said she had ignored a similar video of Nikki’s last year, which called for parents to put the dangerous cleaners up high or in a locked cupboard. 

‘The NEXT day I found her (18 months) at the cupboard and tablets everywhere,’ she wrote.

One of the tablets had been nibbled on but because it was quite hard the toddler hadn’t had time to swallow much.

‘I dread to think what could have happened if she’d pierced a liquid one. Called poisons hotline and thankfully all was ok but it’s a lesson as to how quickly these adventurous little ones can break into things even when you think they are safe,’ one mum said.

The first tablet crumbled in Nikki's hand after the plastic on the back dissolved

The second one burst under the tiniest amount of pressure

The experiment showed each tablet took little effort to pop or open after just ten seconds in a tiny bit of water

Nikki said dishwashing  tablets should always be stored up high or in a locked cupboard where children can't get to them

Nikki said dishwashing  tablets should always be stored up high or in a locked cupboard where children can’t get to them

Another mum revealed her son ended up in emergency with alkaline burns to his eye because she didn’t realise how dangerous the tablets were.

‘My son used to put them in the dishwasher with supervision from about 14months he loved to help,’ she said.

‘I always made sure he knew not to put them in his mouth but it never occurred to me it would burst so easily into his eye.’

If your child does accidentally swallow a dishwashing tablet or other household poisons call the poisons hotline for assistance on 131 126 or go to your nearest emergency department.



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk