• Paul Gallen says he’s agreed to two minute rounds with the crosscode star
  • One of Aussie sport’s most anticipated boxing matches is edging closer

By JAMES COONEY FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

After years of anticipation, stalled negotiations and vicious barbs, a showdown between footy stars Paul Gallen and Sonny Bill Williams is now closer than ever before.

In a dramatic turn of events, Gallen has agreed to Williams’ terms – including a key sticking point that threatened to derail the heavyweight showdown.

It was revealed last month that Gallen was pushing for eight three minute rounds – standard for pro boxing – while SBW would prefer 2.5 or 2 minute rounds.

Gallen says he’s now accepted the shorter rounds. 

‘I’ve actually agreed to the two-minute rounds now just to prove the fact that (Williams) won’t do it,’ Gallen told 2GB’s The Continuous Call Team on Saturday.

‘Have I got a reply (after agreeing to the rounds)? No, so there we go.

A heavyweight showdown between Paul Gallen (pictured) and Sonny Bill Williams is now closer than ever before with Gallen accepting his rival's terms

A heavyweight showdown between Paul Gallen (pictured) and Sonny Bill Williams is now closer than ever before with Gallen accepting his rival’s terms

The heated rivals are in advanced talks regarding the blockbuster bout

The heated rivals are in advanced talks regarding the blockbuster bout

‘I don’t think he wants to do it, so I’ve called his bluff.’

Gallen said he’s not ‘nervous’ about returning to the sport after hanging up the gloves in 2022.

‘I’m not nervous at all. I just told you where it is at,’ he said.

‘I’ve had no correspondence with anyone about it since I made the offer a week ago.

‘I don’t know (why there’s been no reply).

‘Like I said, I really don’t think he wants to do it.’

Darryl Brohman asked Gallen if he thinks the crosscode superstar was scared of him. 

‘It’s been going on for 10 years. You don’t think he’s been scared before?’ said Gallen.

Gallen has confirmed that he's agreed to come out of retirement to fight the former All Black

Gallen has confirmed that he’s agreed to come out of retirement to fight the former All Black

Williams last fought in 2022, suffering a shock knockout loss to MMA star Mark Hunt

Williams last fought in 2022, suffering a shock knockout loss to MMA star Mark Hunt

‘We’ve been speaking about it for 10 years and he’s never wanted to do it.

‘Have I been saying for a long time that I want to do it? Yes. Someone should ask him why he (doesn’t want to do it). I can’t answer for him because I have no idea.’

Williams last fought in 2022, suffering a shock knockout loss to MMA star Mark Hunt. Despite the setback, his athletic pedigree and star power make him a huge draw.

Gallen retired from the sport in 2022 after a win over Justin Hodges, but has always said he’d like to take on Williams.

The only two blemishes on Gallen’s pro record were in Australian heavyweight title bouts against Justis Huni and Kris Terzievski.

Past attempts to make the bout happen have fallen through over discussions about how the money will be split.

Speaking after his last fight in 2022, Gallen said he regretted that the fight with Williams never took place – and that one comment from Williams ruined their relationship forever.

:
Paul Gallen agrees to Sonny Bill Williams’ terms as Aussie superfight edges closer to reality: ‘Called his bluff’

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk