With his judging spot on The Great British Bake Off, it’s become something of a job requirement for him to taste indulgent and rich foods on a fairly frequent basis.
But Paul Hollywood has revealed that he’s still managed to shed weight, after cutting alcohol out of his diet – made easier by him vetoing nights out at glitzy bashes.
The clean-living 51-year-old said in an interview published by The Sun: ‘I don’t have to go out now, I just drink water all day. I promise. It’s helped shift a few pounds too.’
Booze-free: Paul Hollywood has revealed that he’s quit boozing – and lost weight in the process
The TV personality has been watching his waistline for quite some time now, revealing to Weekend magazine last year that he’d been watching the calories.
‘I’m on a healthy eating spurt right now,’ he said. ‘I’m not thin but I’m on my way there. It’s not a diet; I’m just reducing my calorie intake and I’m seeing a personal trainer and boxing and weightlifting about three times a week.’
While he’s embracing good news on the health front, Paul has endured a number of setbacks of late, announcing in November that he and his wife Alexandra were going their separate ways after 20 years of marriage.
Water way to do it: The 51-year-old TV personality has revealed that he now just drinks water, after avoiding glitzy showbiz parties and staying home
Diet: Last year, Paul revealed that he’s been counting the calories as he watched his waistline
The couple previously split in 2013, after Paul admitted his affair with US Bake Off star Marcela Valladolid. However, their split was brief, as they reunited at the end of that year.
At the time, Paul confessed: ‘I did have an affair in America with my co-judge and it was something which was the biggest mistake of my life because actually I still love my wife.’
Before the split was announced, reports also surfaced claiming the judge had enjoyed a secret date with a barmaid some 30 years his junior at a swanky hotel.
Paul allegedly went for dinner and drinks with Summer Monteys-Fullham at The Dorchester in London after the breakdown of his marriage.
The way they were: Paul and his wife Alexandra announced the end of their 20-year marriage in November. They’re pictured together in January 2015
Paul and Alex, who have a 16 year-old son, confirmed their split in a joint statement saying: ‘It is with sadness that we have decided to separate.
‘Our focus continues to be the happiness of our son, and we would ask the press and public to allow us privacy as a family during this very difficult time.’
Great British Bake Off judge Paul Hollywood’s American ambitions have been put on hold after his US show was suddenly cancelled.
And earlier this month, it was revealed that US network ABC pulled the plug on Paul’s The Great American Baking Show, after several women came forward accusing his fellow judge Johnny Iuzzini, 43, of sexual misconduct.
Cancelled: His weight loss reveal comes days after US network ABC pulled the plug on The Great American Baking Show, after judge Johnny Iuzzini faced sexual misconduct allegations
Replaced: Paul joined the team stateside after GBBO in September, following GBBO’s Mary Berry’s departure. The veteran chef hosted the show from its inception in 2015
Paul 51 joined the team Stateside after GBBO in September following GBBO’s Mary Berry’s departure. The veteran chef, 81, hosted the show from its inception in 2015.
He was last seen in the US on The American Baking Competition, which ran for one season in 2013.
The Great American Baking Show judge Johnny Iuzzini was first hit with allegations on November 29, when US news source Mic published the accounts of four women who had worked under Iuzzini at the Jean Georges restaurant in New York City.
The women described being sexually harassed and even verbally abused by the allegedly inappropriate and temperamental executive pastry chef.
Popular: Paul and Mary enjoyed immense popularity on GBBO during its run with the BBC, alongside hosts (L-R) Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins
Moving on: Paul has since joined a new incarnation of the show on Channel 4, alongside (L-R) Sandi Toksvig, Noel Fielding and Prue Leith
Iuzzini apologised for some of the behaviour recounted in the story, while claiming innocence when it came to some of the other accusations.
In the end, ABC decided to go forward with airing the third season of The Great American Baking Show, which debuted earlier this month.
But ABC pulled the show off the air just days later, after Mic published a second report, citing four more people who had either been personally harassed by Iuzzini or witnessed his misbehaviour.
In a statement to Variety, the network said that they decided to take the show off the air because of Iuzzini’s reported actions.
Show: Iuzzini (second left) was a judge on the show, alongside Paul. It was hosted by Ayesha Curry (second right) and Anthony Adams (right)
‘In light of allegations that recently came to our attention, ABC has ended its relationship with Johnny Iuzzini and will not be airing the remainder of The Great American Baking Show episodes,’ an ABC spokesperson said.
‘ABC takes matters such as those described in the allegations very seriously and has come to the conclusion that they violate our standards of conduct. This season’s winner will be announced at a later date,’ the statement continued.
Iuzzini has yet to respond to his TV show’s effective cancelling. He did, however, respond to the latest wave of accusations to Mic, saying they are ‘simply untrue’.
‘I am truly disheartened at the thought of anyone being hurt from my past actions,’ Iuzzini said. ‘However, there is a difference between accepting responsibility for my immaturity and allowing false claims and accusations to be reported.’
Apology: Iuzzini, pictured with Mary Berry, Nia Vardalos and Ian Gomez, apologised for some of the behaviour recounted in the story, while claiming innocence when it came to others