- NRL journalist was stood down from job earlier this year
- Is facing hearing in Sydney court, pleaded not guilty
- Hearing saw footage from police officers’ body cameras
Sidelined rugby league writer and TV presenter Paul Kent has been accused of choking a woman, who told officers he had ‘done this before’.
Kent, 54, has pleaded not guilty to assault and choking charges stemming from an alleged altercation at a home in Sydney’s inner west in May.
The woman had been in an ‘on again, off again’ relationship with the sports journalist for several months.
At a hearing at the Downing Centre Local Court on Monday, prosecutors played footage from cameras worn by police officers who attended the scene.
In the vision, taken on the side of the road, the visibly upset woman told officers she and Kent had an argument during which she took his phone.
Kent (pictured on air for Fox Sports) has pleaded not guilty to charges of assault and choking stemming from an alleged altercation at his Sydney home in May
The 33-year-old claimed the journalist grabbed her hands and pushed her to the ground, and at one point put his hands on her throat.
Asked if her breathing was restricted during the altercation, the woman said it was.
Officers took photos of marks on the woman’s hand, elbow and chin that she said she had sustained during the altercation.
‘He’s done this before and I’ve given him a chance,’ she said in the video.
When police entered the home to ask Kent about the allegations, he said she was ‘just being nasty’.
He agreed the pair had an argument and that she took his phone.
The high-profile former footy pundit’s hearing in a Sydney court was played police bodycam footage on Monday
He said when he tried to get the phone back from her, she fell backwards ‘with her full body weight’.
While he agreed he had grabbed her hands for the phone, he denied any other assault occurred.
‘She makes s*** up … she threatens this stuff all the time, she always threatens to call police,’ Kent said.
‘I didn’t hit her, I didn’t do anything like that.’
Kent was stood down from his positions at the Daily Telegraph and Fox Sports while the court proceedings are underway and remains on bail.
The hearing continues before Magistrate Daniel Reiss.