A pigtailed Richard Pusey has demanded a prosecutor refer to him by his correct pronouns and compared Victoria’s justice system to Iran’s in another bizarre court hearing.
Once dubbed ‘Australia’s most despised man’ by a magistrate, Pusey held up a sign and took a phone call during a comical jailhouse video appearance at Sunshine Magistrates’ Court.
‘Kylie Moore Gilbert would find it difficult to distinguish between the Iranian and the Australian justice system in a police line-up,’ he told Melbourne Magistrate Andrew Capell on Wednesday.
‘The whole case should be thrown out, You should give me my freedom today.’
Richard Pusey wrapped his pigtails in canary yellow hair ties for his court appearance on Tuesday morning
Pusey walked free from jail in August donning a bizarre outfit (pictured) after serving 10 months for filming the dying police officers.
Constable Glen Humphris, Senior Constable Kevin King, Leading Senior Constable Lynette Taylor and and Constable Josh Prestney all died in the horror crash (pictured left to right)
Pusey remains in jail awaiting a contest hearing over allegations he posted online a picture of the body of a police officer killed in 2020’s Eastern Freeway truck crash.
Pusey, who wore pigtails with yellow hair ties and matching yellow-trimmed facemask, again reminded the court about his jailhouse transition into a woman, demanding he be referred to as ‘them or they’.
Last month Pusey told the court he had almost missed his court hearing due to ongoing plans to transition.
‘I’ve got discussions with some clinics in Melbourne in relation to my gender re-assignment surgery,’ he said at the time.
In a minor win for Pusey on Wednesday, prosecutors acting for Victoria Police dropped yet another charge against him and softened the remaining four charges to reflect ‘offensive’ behaviour rather than ‘menacing’.
Police allege Pusey posted a Google review of the Porsche Centre Melbourne, which included one of the pictures he took at the scene of the April 2020 crash over which he was previously sentenced on charges of outraging public decency.
Four officers were killed after they pulled over Mr Pusey Porsche (pictured) for allegedly speeding on Melbourne’s Eastern Freeway
The 44-year-old has been behind bars since February 7 after his bail was revoked amid allegations he used a telecommunications device to ‘offend’.
Just yesterday police dropped a swag of unrelated charges against Pusey – the very charges that saw him jailed for breaching bail with the alleged Google review.
‘Technically I should never have been on bail because the last case was thrown out because there was no substance to it,’ Pusey complained.
Despite prosecutors agreeing to withdraw another charge, Pusey refused to accept it.
While previously represented in court by high-priced barrister Dermot Dann QC, Pusey has chosen to fight the charges himself aided by a Victorian Legal Aid hotline from behind bars.
‘I’d have to make a phone call to legal aid, I’d have to pinpoint the part of the Act,’ Pusey told Mr Capell.
Based on Pusey’s estimates of obtaining 10 sections of the Act he seeks per request, the disgraced businessman estimated it would take him 18 months to make a decision on the amended prosecution case.
Mr Capell accepted the prosecution’s changes to the case all the same.
Bizarre social media posts began appearing on an account called ‘the Richard Pusey show’ shortly after he was released from jail (pictured)
A picture of Pusey’s wrecked black 2016 Porsche 911 was posted online with the caption: ‘You don’t need one of these to bend a cop’. Pusey was reportedly trying to claim insurance over the crash
The court heard Pusey had finally received documents related to his case after police were forced to record him on body worn cameras receiving them within the Metropolitan Remand Centre where he remains cage.
Pusey had previously claimed the documents had never been sent – a claim hotly disputed by the prosecution.
Among a series of odd requests, Pusey asked to obtain 10 days worth of CCTV footage from a Melbourne hotel dating back to 2018.
He also hoped to call VicRoads and Google as witnesses in the trial – all of which was denied by the magistrate.
It was about then when Pusey vanished from the video link.
When he returned, he was seen giving a double-handed ‘peace’ salute, talking on a prison phone and holding up a handwritten note stating: ‘Me no hear you’.
Court staff assured Mr Capell the videolink was sound, but Pusey refused to respond when spoken to.
Richard Pusey was defended by high-profile Melbourne barrister Dermot Dann, QC (far right) during his proceedings related to the Eastern crash. He represented himself in court on Tuesday
Pusey in April 2020 after his arrest over his role in the Eastern Freeway crash, which claimed the lives of four officers
After a short break, Pusey asked Mr Capell for the second time to give him his name, before repeatedly demanding to know the day – it was a Tuesday – of his next hearing date.
Pusey then insisted the remaining charges be detailed to him again.
‘I’m just doing my job,’ Pusey whined.
On Tuesday, Pusey compared himself to Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky during a failed bail application.
‘To quote Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky: “freedom must be armed no worse than tyranny”,’ Pusey said.
‘Now I’m not prepared to proceed unless I’m armed with the same as the prosecutor.’
Pusey came to national attention after he was convicted of filming four police officers after they were fatally struck by a truck.
He will return to court in August.
Until then, Pusey told the court he would return to his cell to continue watching his favourite television shows, which he said include ‘Ryan’s Mystery Playdate’ and ‘Seinfeld’.
Richard Pusey pictured atop of his Fitzroy mansion after a protest against the way he has been treated
Richard Pusey’s car is pictured after the deadly Eastern Freeway crash that claimed the lives of four police officers
LATEST CASE AGAINST RICHARD PUSEY
In October 2021, Pusey was reportedly fighting for a $250,000 payout for his wrecked Porsche but had been denied by two insurance firms.
He was rejected payment from his own insurer after it found out Pusey had not disclosed his prior indiscretions to the company.
It is understood Pusey then turned to Connect Logistics, which owned the Semi-trailer driven by Mohinder Singh – the driver convicted over the deadly collision with the roadside police officers.
Pusey had walked free from jail just a couple of months earlier in August donning sunglasses and a mask that read ‘fake news’.
He had served 10 months for filming the crash scene and at one point commenting ‘this is f****ng justice’.
Just three weeks after his release he was sent back to jail, charged with assaulting police and stalking after a disturbance at his Fitzroy home.
In December, social media accounts popped up online which appeared to be operated by Pusey and contained pictures and comments that repeatedly referenced the crash and bizarre thinly veiled insults towards police.
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk