Prince Andrew allegedly wants disgraced actor Kevin Spacey to help clear his name by telling a jury in the Virginia Roberts sex assault lawsuit that Ghislaine Maxwell was Spacey’s guest during a guided tour of Buckingham Palace in 2002.
A photo taken during the private tour, which was organised by the Duke, shows Maxwell and Spacey smiling as they sit on the Queen’s and Prince Philip’s Coronation thrones.
‘Andrew had invited Spacey for the tour of the Palace. [Ghislaine Maxwell] came with him – not as a guest of Andrew’s,’ a source told The Sun.
The tour, which showed Maxwell and the American Beauty actor larking around in the Throne Room, was arranged for former US president Bill Clinton – who was a friend of Spacey – and other VIPs.
The Duke of York wants to distance himself from Maxwell, who is set to be sentenced on sex trafficking crimes on June 28.
The source added: ‘If Kevin can convince a jury he was the crucial link with Ghislaine, rather than Andrew, it distances the Prince from her somewhat – and that’s crucial.
Prince Andrew allegedly wants disgraced actor Kevin Spacey to help clear his name by telling a jury that Ghislaine Maxwell was Spacey’s guest during a guided tour of Buckingham Palace in 2002. (Above, the Duke with now-disgraced actor Spacey at a benefit party for the Old Vic theatre in February 2003)
The Duke of York wants to distance himself from Ghislaine Maxwell, who is set to be sentenced on sex trafficking crimes on June 28
Prince Andrew, Virginia Roberts, aged 17, and Ghislaine Maxwell at Maxwell’s townhouse in London. Roberts, who is referred to in case documents by her married name Virginia Giuffre, filed a civil suit against Prince Andrew in August 2021, in which she formally accused the Royal of sexual abuse while she was being trafficked by billionaire paedophile Jeffrey Epstein
‘Andrew also believes such a gifted actor and public speaker could be a very compelling asset in front of a jury.’
Kevin Spacey’s reputation was left in tatters after he was accused of making unwanted sexual advances towards actor Anthony Rapp when he was just 14.
Other men subsequently came forward alleging that Spacey had made unwanted advances and sexually harassed them. Spacey has continued to deny all assault allegations.
Earlier this week, Prince Andrew demanded a ‘trial by jury’ as he hit back at accusations of rape and sexual assault made by Jeffrey Epstein ‘sex slave’ Virginia Roberts.
In his official response to claims made against him by Ms Roberts five months ago, the Queen’s son issued 41 denials, rejecting all allegations of wrongdoing – but said a further 40 times that he ‘lacks sufficient information to admit or deny’ other claims.
Over 15 pages of court documents filed at New York’s southern district court, Roberts, also referred to by her married name Giuffre (pictured in 2019 following a hearing in the Epstein case), claimed that the Duke of York ‘committed sexual assault and battery’ against her while she was aged just 17, requesting that a judge award ‘punitive damages’ for the ‘physical and psychological’ injuries she suffered
He also submitted 11 defences calling for the case to be dismissed, including that Miss Roberts’ claims should be barred by ‘her own wrongful conduct’ and ‘unclean hands’.
His decision to go ahead with the case puts him in contravention with the Royal Family who, sources say, are ‘desperate’ for him to settle and avoid the spectacle of a trial in New York later this year during the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations.
A source said: ‘Andrew is on collision course with the Palace over this.’
Earlier this month the Queen ‘swiftly and ruthlessly’ forced Andrew to step down from his remaining royal patronages and demanded he fight the case as a ‘private citizen’.
Andrew had not officially responded to the 73-point civil claim as his lawyers almost immediately applied to a New York judge for it to be thrown out.
That was dismissed earlier this month, meaning he now needs to formally answer the accusations against him, including claims that Miss Roberts, suing under her married name of Giuffre, was trafficked to him by his friend, paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, and forced to have sex with the duke on three occasions when she was 17.
She says this amounts to rape, sexual assault and battery as she seeks unspecified damages, thought to be in the millions of pounds.
Andrew’s eight admissions were limited to information already public, such as that he is a UK citizen and resides at Royal Lodge on the Windsor Estate.
Prince Andrew’s legal team has filed legal papers in which the Royal denied all of Virginia Roberts’ sex abuse allegations as he prepares for a bitter court battle in the United States (Pictured: Andrew and ex wife Sarah Duchess Of York leaving Royal Lodge on January 22)
He admits his walk with Epstein in Central Park in 2010 and staying at the paedophile’s Manhattan mansion on the same trip, both caught on camera.
But in his rebuttal of Miss Roberts’ complaint, Andrew denies he ever sexually abused her and refuses to ‘admit or deny’ her assertions that she was a victim of Epstein.
He even – quite remarkably given photographic evidence of their relationship over the years – denies being a ‘close friend’ of Epstein’s girlfriend and now convicted sex trafficker, Ghislaine Maxwell.
Andrew’s legal team also reject Miss Roberts’ accusation that he has refused to co-operate with US authorities in their investigation of Epstein and his co-conspirators, despite officials claiming he has done just that.
Andrew makes clear he continues to dispute Miss Roberts is resident in the state of Colorado, which allows her to bring the case in the US.
Now a 38-year-old mother-of-three, she lives in Perth, Australia, and it is understood Andrew’s legal team still intend to pursue this in a bid to get the case thrown out.
MailOnline has contacted Kevin Spacey and Buckingham Palace for comment.
What Kevin Spacey has been accused of
Kevin Spacey had been one of Hollywood’s biggest stars but faced scandal after claims he sexually assaulted Star Trek actor Antony Rapp, who was 14 at the time.
The pair were both in Broadway shows and met at a party in 1986 where, Rapp told Buzzfeed: ‘My impression when he came in the room was that he was drunk.
‘He picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don’t, like, squirm away initially, because I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ And then he lays down on top of me.
‘He was trying to seduce me. I don’t know if I would have used that language. But I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually.’
On the day Rapp made his allegations, Spacey came out as gay and apologized to the actor, saying: ‘I honestly do not remember the encounter, it would have been over 30 years ago.
‘But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.’
Others have since come forward with more claims of sexual misconduct, including Heather Unruh who alleged her 18-year-old son was sexually assaulted by the star in 2016.
A civil lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice after it was revealed Unruh deleted texts off her son’s phone before giving it to police, while a criminal assault charge was also dropped.
Documentary filmmaker Tony Montana claims Spacey groped his penis in the Coronet Pub in Los Angeles in 2003, while Roberto Cavazos, a former actor at the Old Vic theater, said that he had fended off two ‘unpleasant’ advances made by the star in 2008 which ‘bordered on harassment’.
Harry Dreyfuss, the son of actor Richard, also claimed Spacey groped him when he was 18 years old.
Spacey has also been accused of a number of sexual assaults in England between 1996 and 2013, including one claim he performed a sex act on someone asleep.
Police have handed over their investigation to prosecutors who will decide whether to charge him.
Spacey has denied the accusations.
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk