News, Culture & Society

Prince Andrew’s lawyers expose ‘sex kitten past’ of Virginia Giuffre in blistering reply to lawsuit

Prince Andrew’s legal team have challenged his accuser over her claims she was abused by exposing her ‘sex kitten’ past and accusing her of procuring ‘slutty girls’ for Jeffrey Epstein, legal papers show.

The Duke of York’s lawyers filed a blistering 36-page motion to dismiss the US civil suit brought by Virginia Giuffre in which she accuses the Royal of rape.

The 38-year-old, previously known by her maiden named Roberts, claims she was sex trafficked to Andrew on three occasions by convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein, the first time when she was 17 and below the legal age of consent under New York law.

The 61-year-old Duke has consistently and vehemently denied her claims.

In court documents filed on Friday night, Andrew’s US legal team called Ms Giuffre’s lawsuit ‘frivolous’, saying: ‘She has initiated this baseless lawsuit against Prince Andrew to achieve another payday at his expense.’

They said she had profited from her association with Jeffrey Epstein, the convicted sex offender, for years and was willing to ‘milk the publicity’ for all she could but had not kept her stories straight. 

Lawyers also cited a story published in the New York Daily News in 2015 that claimed Giuffre recruited young women into Epstein’s sex trafficking ring and referenced former friends who had described her as a ‘money-hungry sex kitten’ who enjoyed a lavish lifestyle.

US Lawyers for Prince Andrew (pictured on Thursday at Windsor castle) have submitted a response to a lawsuit filed against him in New York by his sex abuse accuser Virginia Roberts

Prince Andrew (pictured) has fired back at a Virginia Giuffre's 'frivolous' sex-assault lawsuit claiming she's just out for a 'payday' in a shock motion he filed to dismiss the claims on Friday

Giuffre (pictured), 38, has accused the Duke of York of sexually abusing her three times back in 2001 when she was just 17 years old - more than two decades ago

Prince Andrew (left) has fired back at a Virginia Giuffre’s (right) ‘frivolous’ sex-assault lawsuit claiming she’s just out for a ‘payday’ in a shock motion he filed to dismiss the claims on Friday

Giuffre (right with Andrew), one of Epstein's most vocal accusers, claimed that she was forced into sex with the Duke of York. She has long claimed that she was a victim of Epstein's sex trafficking ring throughout the early 2000s when she was a teenager (Ghislaine pictured right)

Giuffre (right with Andrew), one of Epstein’s most vocal accusers, claimed that she was forced into sex with the Duke of York. She has long claimed that she was a victim of Epstein’s sex trafficking ring throughout the early 2000s when she was a teenager (Ghislaine pictured right)

In a section of the legal papers headed ‘Giuffre’s role in Epstein’s criminal enterprise’, lawyers cite Crystal Figueroa, the sister of one of Giuffre’s ex-boyfriends, who claims she was asked by Ms Giuffre for help in recruiting underage girls.

The quote reads: ‘She [Giuffre] would say to me, ‘Do you know any girls who are kind of slutty?’

The court filing adds: ‘It is a striking feature of this case that while lurid allegations are made against Prince Andrew by Giuffre, the only party to this claim whose conduct has involved the wilful recruitment and trafficking of young girls for sexual abuse is Giuffre herself, including while she was an adult.’ 

In the New York Daily News article, which is cited in Prince Andrew’s response, one of Giuffre’s ex-lovers who would drive her to Epstein’s Palm Beach mansion told the news site: ‘She was like head b****.

‘She’d have like nine or 10 girls she used to bring to him. She never looked like she was being held captive…

‘She and the other girls would walk out of there smiling, with their little bathing suits on, like they had just come from the beach. She’d have like four grand. 

Prince Andrew fiercely denied Giuffre's claims in the motion he filed in US District Court in Manhattan on Friday. He called her claims 'baseless' in an effort to 'achieve another payday' before slamming Giuffre for her allegations against Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell

Prince Andrew fiercely denied Giuffre’s claims in the motion he filed in US District Court in Manhattan on Friday. He called her claims ‘baseless’ in an effort to ‘achieve another payday’ before slamming Giuffre for her allegations against Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell

The prince has also accused Giuffre of helping Ghislaine Maxwell in her sex trafficking ring with Jeffrey Epstein (pictured)

The motion to dismiss Giuffre's claims cited a damning story published in the New York Daily News in 2015 that revealed 'Giuffre also was trained to and did, in fact, recruit other young women into Epstein’s sex trafficking ring'

The motion cited a damning story published in 2015 that revealed ‘Giuffre (right) also was trained to and did, in fact, recruit other young women into (left) Epstein’s sex trafficking ring’

‘And then I’d take them all to the mall and they’d get their nails done.’

When Giuffre was in the middle of settling a lawsuit with Epstein in March 2015, former friends even claimed, she was actually more of a ‘money-hungry sex kitten’ who enjoyed the lavish lifestyle than someone who was enslaved by the convicted paedophile.

Andrew’s lawyers have said in response: ‘Virginia Giuffre may well be a victim of sexual abuse at the hands of Jeffrey Epstein…and nothing can excuse, nor fully capture, the abhorrence and gravity of Epstein’s monstrous behavior against Giuffre, if so.

‘However, and without diminishing the harm suffered as a results of Epstein’s alleged misconduct, Prince Andrew never sexually abused or assaulted Giuffre.

‘He unequivocally denies Giuffre’s false allegations against him.’

The royal's attorney, Andrew Brettler believes a legal agreement reached between Epstein and Giuffre in 2009 absolves Andrew of all responsibility in the lawsuit he described as 'baseless'

The royal’s attorney, Andrew Brettler believes a legal agreement reached between Epstein and Giuffre in 2009 absolves Andrew of all responsibility in the lawsuit he described as ‘baseless’

The court documents went on to point out that ‘for over a decade, Giuffre has profited from her allegations against Epstein and others by selling stories and photographs to the press and entering into secret agreements to resolve her claims against her alleged abusers, including Epstein and his ex-girlfriend, Ghislaine Maxwell’. 

It adds: ‘Epstein’s abuse of Giuffre does not justify her public campaign against Prince Andrew.’

The motion said that her ‘pattern of filing a series of lawsuits against numerous high-profile individuals should no longer be tolerated, as it continues to irreparably harm many innocent people’. 

‘Most people could only dream of obtaining the sums of money that Giuffre has secured for herself over the years,’ the legal papers read, noting that the money could serve as a ‘compelling motive for Giuffre to continue filing frivolous lawsuits against individuals such as Prince Andrew’.

The court documents also said that Giuffre has created ‘a media frenzy’ in the press, which has led ‘sensationalism and innuendo (to) prevail over truth’.  

Giuffre has been one of Epstein’s most outspoken accusers, claiming that she was a victim of his sex trafficking ring throughout the early 2000s when she was a teenager.

Giuffre’s lawyer, Sigrid McCawley told the Sunday Times yesterday: ‘If Virginia Giuffre had stood silent in the face of outrageous statements like those Prince Andrew routinely churns out — his motion to dismiss the litigation being no exception — the decades-long sex-trafficking ring his friend Jeffrey Epstein operated and he participated in would have never been exposed.

‘On the subject of money, let’s be clear: the only party to this litigation using money to his benefit is Prince Andrew.’ 

Andrew has repeatedly denied that he has sex with Roberts or ever met her despite a photo of the two together: 'I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever'

Andrew has repeatedly denied that he has sex with Roberts or ever met her despite a photo of the two together: ‘I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever’

The contents of the court papers outraged women’s groups and campaigners, with Andrew’s lawyers claiming Ms Giuffre had secured sums ‘most people could only dream of’ by filing lawsuits against Epstein and his associate, Ghislaine Maxwell, that were settled out of court. 

Joan Smith, former co-chairwoman of the Mayor of London’s Violence Against Women group said: ‘The Duke of York seems to be living in the 1950s when abused women were often described as gold diggers. Accusing a known victim of sexual exploitation of being motivated by money is about as low as you can get.

‘It is victim shaming and further evidence of his appalling judgment. Andrew is just dragging his reputation further into the gutter.’

Karen Ingala Smith, chief executive of NIA, a London-based charity aimed at ending sexual and domestic violence against women, said: ‘His lack of empathy and contempt for the victim-survivors of sexual violence is deplorable.

‘It is grossly dishonest to claim on one hand that sexual violence is abhorrent and then on the other to brand those seeking legal redress as frivolous money grabbers.’ 

Meanwhile Ms Giuffre’s lawyer last night said she may subpoena Andrew’s ex-wife Sarah Ferguson and daughters Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and force them to testify under oath. 

The Duke of York faced an immediate backlash from women's groups after his lawyers filed a blistering 36-page motion to dismiss the US civil suit brought by Ms Giuffre in which she accuses the Royal of rape

The Duke of York faced an immediate backlash from women’s groups after his lawyers filed a blistering 36-page motion to dismiss the US civil suit brought by Ms Giuffre in which she accuses the Royal of rape

Sigrid McCawley and her team are examining Andrew’s infamous 2019 BBC Newsnight interview with Emily Maitlis for ‘inconsistencies.’

She wants to quiz Andrew’s ex-wife and daughters about his alibi, including that he was in Pizza Express in Woking on the day in 2001 when Ms Giuffre claims she was first forced to sleep with him.

Ms Giuffre’s legal team may also seek the Duke’s medical records after he claimed he could not have been ‘sweating profusely’ on a dance floor, as Ms Giuffre alleged, because he suffers from a medical condition which stops him perspiring. 

A legal source familiar with the case told the Mail on Sunday: ‘It is not a good look for Andrew and his team to victim shame his accuser. This could backfire badly in the court of public opinion.’

The first pre-trial hearing in the case is scheduled for Wednesday in New York.

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk