Prince Harry today released a dramatic trailer for his ‘Heart of Invictus’ documentary on Netflix as he prepares for the games to kick off next month.
Netflix tweeted a trailer for the limited series, which features the Duke of Sussex on stage at the Invictus Games, which he founded in 2014.
He says: ‘It is here at Invictus Games that you realise – whatever you carry was the springboard that propelled you to the next level. The Games doesn’t focus on what causes the injury but the recovery and how to be part of a community again.’
Harry is pictured meeting competitors and his voice is heard saying ‘Everyone is going to struggle at some point’.
Netflix said the documentary – which follows veterans as they prepare for the Invictus Games – will be released on August 30, 2023.
It is being released as part of the Sussexes’ reputed £80million deal with the streaming giant, which recently paid £3m for the film rights to a romantic novel that the Sussexes will help produce.
The sneak preview shows Harry saying: ‘It is here at Invictus Games that you realise – whatever you carry was the springboard that propelled you to the next level’
The Duke of Sussex high-fives a veteran during the trailer for his new Netflix documentary
Netflix said the documentary – which follows veterans as they prepare for the Invictus Games – will be released on August 30, 2023
The purchase of the film rights for Carley Fortune’s The Meet Me At The Lake comes after a tricky period in the couple’s media career, which saw them lose their reported £18million deal with Spotify after one series of Meghan’s podcast, Archetypes.
Harry, who has been in Japan for a charity and polo tour with his best friend Nacho Figueras, will jet to Dusseldorf from LA for the event that starts on September 9 and ends on September 16.
Rita Ora will perform at the closing ceremony, where Harry is expected to give an emotional speech. Rita and Harry have been friends for years.
In a video message recorded in his Montecito mansion before he left for Japan – but that emerged online today – Harry insisted: ‘It’ll be the best games ever’. He also praised competitors for taking the next step on their ‘healing journey’, and insisted that the event, which he called a ‘home for respect’, is part of his own.
Grinning in the virtual call, he said: ‘I hope you are excited and probably a bit nervous. I’m both. But I can’t wait to see all of you and have the whole community together once again. It’s been too long’.
Addressing the athletes he said: ‘You’re all on different parts of your healing journey’ before adding: ‘We all are – we always will be’.
‘Good luck for the remaining few weeks, have fun, look forward to it. Being nervous is a good thing. We have 21 nations this year and can’t wait to have every continent represented. Except Antarctica – but still working on that’, he said, laughing.
‘Thank you for your service, for your commitment, your determination in getting to this point. We are going to have a lot of fun and yeah, look forward to it. We’re ready to host you. It’s going to be the best games ever, the best games yet’.
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex arrive at the town hall during the Invictus Games Dusseldorf 2023 – One Year To Go events, on September 06, 2022
Harry will reportedly be in Dusseldorf for the entirety of the games. Meghan is expected to attend around half of it, including Harry’s speech at the closing ceremony.
A source told the Rheinische Post that ‘this very emotional element is to be watched personally by Meghan, Duchess of Sussex’.
His late grandmother the Queen died on September 8 last year. It is not yet known if Harry will head to the UK before Germany.
Last year, the Sussexes visited the city for an official launch event for the contest, meeting officials and potential competitors, as well as athletes’ friends and family.
It was seen at the time as part of a pseudo-royal tour of the UK and Europe – where police closed junctions and set up miles of roadblocks so the couple and their entourage could avoid traffic jams.
City officials rolled out the red carpet but insisted the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex was private.
They were protected by their own security team with the couple footing the bill.
Harry played an instrumental role in bringing the Games to the UK in 2014 when 300 competitors from 13 countries took part in the inaugural competition in London.
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex react as they watch the Land Rover Driving Challenge, in The Hague in 2022