Prince William is worried that conversations he has with Prince Harry during Jubilee celebrations may be used in his Netflix documentaries, sources have said.
The Duke of Cambridge, 40, is ‘wary’ about his brother’s decision to join the weekend celebrations with wife Meghan, 40, and their children Alfie, three, and Lilibet, 11 months, a source said.
It comes as the couple, who have built their new life in California, announced on Friday that they were planning on travelling to the UK for the Platinum Jubilee.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who are no longer working royals, will not be allowed to join the Queen on Buckingham Palace’s balcony for Trooping the Colour, on Thursday, June 2.
Prince William is worried that conversations he has with Prince Harry during Jubilee celebrations may be used in his Netflix documentary, sources have said
They will however be allowed to some of the weekend’s events.
‘William wants to talk to Harry to try to heal the rift between them but he’s fearful it will find its way on to Netflix, Oprah or into Harry’s upcoming book,’ a source told The Sun.
The brothers last saw each other in July, for the unveiling of a Kensington Palace statue in memory of their mother, Princess Diana.
At the time, sources claimed a ‘furious’ Prince William did not want to attend the event, after the Oprah Winfrey interview in March last year.
Palace aides are also said to be concerned that attention surrounding a Netflix film crew following Harry and Meghan as part of their multi-million deal with the streaming giant could detract from Jubilee proceedings
Prince William was ‘furious’ after the Sussexes interview in March last year (pictured), but wants to heal the ‘rift’ between them, sources said.
Royal biographer Tom Bower told the Sun: ‘William will worry that Harry and Meghan will pull a stunt to try to get the limelight.
‘Kate and William would be foolish not to be suspicious and would be unwise not to be cautious.’
Palace aides are also said to be concerned that attention surrounding a Netflix film crew following Harry and Meghan as part of their multi-million deal with the streaming giant could detract from Jubilee proceedings.
Aides are reportedly planning to prevent the Netflix crew filming inside the palace for any Jubilee events.
They do not want the celebrations to be ‘exploit[ed]’ by the production team, after the couple signed the £112million deal in September 2020.
It is understood that courtiers have said Netflix cameras will not be allowed in Royal properties including Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.
However the film crew could mix with crowds and shadow the couple while they are in VIP areas at public events for the Jubilee.
The Queen, Meghan and Prince Harry watch a flypast from Buckingham Palace on July 10, 2018. The Queen has chosen not to invite them back on to the balcony for her jubilee next month – but the Sussexes say they will be coming to the UK anyway
The Monarch is joined on the Buckingham Palace balcony by members of the royal family for the Jubilee in 2019. Prince Andrew, who was at his mother’s left hand that day, has also been excluded
They may also try to join the couple inside other key locations, such as St Paul’s Cathedral, during the four days of celebrations.
On Friday, royal experts warned that Harry and Meghan’s return to the UK risks becoming the ‘focus’ of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
Biographer Mr Bower told MailOnline on Friday: ‘They have been forced to accept a downgraded role – grouped with all the other VIPs – but are clearly desperate not to be excluded. If the Palace is not remarkably careful, the Sussexes will milk the celebrations for their own benefit.
‘Hopefully, the Sussexes will be kept firmly in check to avoid their selfish interests dominating the celebration of the Queen’s awe-inspiring service to Britain.’
Prince Harry’s decision to quit as a working royal and make claims about the royal family from across the Atlantic is understood to have caused the Queen great heartache.
It is also said to have caused major rift with Prince William and Prince Charles.
Speaking during the Invictus Games last month, Harry said that he did not know if he, Meghan, Archie and Lilibet would return to the UK to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, saying there are ‘security issues and everything else’.