Prince William’s Private Secretary, Miguel Head, is to leave the role in July after more than 10 years with the royal family.
He is just the latest in a wave of senior figures resigning and departing the royal households over the past year.
The Duke of Cambridge has now has appointed Simon Case, the current Director General Northern Ireland and Ireland in the Department for Exiting the EU, to succeed Head in the role.
Prince William ‘s Private Secretary Miguel Head, pictured, is to leave the role in July after more than 10 years with the royal family
In August The Mail On Sunday reported that palace sources are concerned that ‘the firm’ had been plunged into uncertainty following the shock resignation of the Queen’s right hand man, Sir Christopher Geidt, along with several other leading figures.
‘You could described it as a right royal shambles, ’ said one courtier.
It was rumoured at the time that Head was expected to leave ‘before Christmas’, although he denied the claims.
The Duchess of Cambridge’s Private Secretary, Rebecca Deacon announced her departure last year, as has Keeper of the Privy Purse, Sir Alan Reid. A week later week it emerged that a second aide to the Queen, Samantha Cohen, Assistant Private Secretary, had tendered her resignation.
The Duke of Cambridge has now has appointed Simon Case, the current Director General Northern Ireland and Ireland in the Department for Exiting the EU, to succeed Head in the role
The shake-up comes at a key time for the Royal Household, as the Queen, 91, and Prince Philip, 96, step back from frontline duties, leaving younger royals to take up the slack – or Operation Handover, as it is known.
The shake-up is also seen as a response to the increasingly chaotic rivalry between the separate households – Kensington Palace, run by the young royals, Clarence House, home to Charles and Buckingham Palace itself.
The Queen is said to have been irritated by the running of the junior households and feels that William and Harry have been given poor advice and left exposed to criticism.
Kensington Palace released a statement this morning which said: ‘After a decade of service to The Royal Family, Miguel Head is to leave his role as Private Secretary to The Duke of Cambridge in July.
‘Miguel joined The Royal Household as Press Secretary to Prince William and Prince Harry in September 2008 and became Private Secretary to The Duke of Cambridge in December 2012. He will now pursue a career outside of The Royal Household.’
A spokesman for The Duke of Cambridge said: ‘His Royal Highness feels incredibly lucky to have benefited from Miguel’s advice and support over the last decade.
‘He has been an outstanding Press Secretary and Private Secretary and has been central to the decisions that have guided the establishment of The Duke’s office.
‘He has also been a valued advisor during an important period in His Royal Highness’s life. He wishes Miguel all the very best for the future.’
Case has held a number of senior positions within the Civil Service, including serving as Principal Private Secretary to the Prime Minister.
His previous experience also includes roles as Director of Strategy at GCHQ, Director of the Implementation Group at the Cabinet Office and a posting at the Northern Ireland Office.
Case is leaving the Civil Service in order to take up the role at Kensington Palace.
The role of Private Secretary to The Duke of Cambridge is the most senior appointment in The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s Household with overall responsibility for the management of the Household.