R Kelly is BANNED from Danish radio following sexual assault allegations
- The 52-year-old musician has been accused of having underage sex and ‘slaves’
- He has been accused by several women in the documentary ‘Surviving R Kelly’
- Danish network Bauer Media said it had barred him over the ‘very serious’ claims
American rapper R Kelly has been banned from a Danish radio network in the wake of sexual assault allegations against him.
The 52-year-old musician was accused in the documentary ‘Surviving R Kelly’ last month of having sex with underage girls and surrounding himself with sex slaves.
Kelly was convicted in 2002 over a video of himself committing sexual acts with a 14-year-old girl, but he was acquitted on appeal in 2008.
Bauer Media, which has almost three million listeners a week in Denmark, said it had barred Kelly after the ‘very serious’ claims.
American rapper R Kelly, pictured in New York City, has been banned from a Danish radio network after a documentary accused him of having sex with underage girls
In the documentary ‘Surviving R. Kelly’, which was aired in early January, several women accused him of having sex with underage girls.
They also alleged the singer and producer had surrounded himself with women whom he made sex slaves.
‘As a radio we have a responsibility on who we give the airtime to,’ said Bauer Media official Tobias Nielsen.
‘It’s very serious and we feel we can’t have him on the playlists.’
Bauer Media runs The Voice, NOVA, Radio 100, Pop FM, Radio Soft and MyRock in Denmark, reaching around 2.7million listeners each week in a country of 5.8million.
One of Kelly’s accusers, Faith Rodgers, said he wrote a letter threatening to reveal details of her sexual history if she did not drop a lawsuit.
In the lawsuit she accuses him of demeaning her, locking her in rooms and vehicles, and subjecting her to ‘non-permissive, painful and abusive sex’.
One of Kelly’s accusers, Faith Rodgers (pictured in New York last month), has sued Kelly claiming he subjected her to ‘non-permissive, painful and abusive sex’
The artist, whose real name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, has been accused for decades of child pornography, sex with minors, operating a sex cult and sexual battery.
In recent months, and particularly after the documentary’s release, the movement #MuteRKelly – intended to prevent the playing of his music – has gained pace.
So far the movement prompted the cancellation of 12 concerts, including in Europe, and caused Kelly to lose an estimated $1.75 million (1.5 million euros) in revenue.
Last month Sony Music dropped Kelly – of ‘I Believe I Can Fly’ fame – over the allegations.
Following the documentary, Lady Gaga apologised for working with Kelly while Chance The Rapper said it was a ‘mistake’ to record a song with him.
Despite the ongoing scandal the singer announced a new tour, saying he plans to perform in Australia, New Zealand and Sri Lanka.
The Grammy-winner tweeted, ‘NEW TOUR ALERT’ on Tuesday, saying it was ‘coming soon’.