Ralph Hasenhuttl’s time at Southampton on the brink of ENDING after 4-1 home defeat by Newcastle… with Saints hierarchy deliberating over whether to drop the axe before or during World Cup
While Eddie Howe took a moment to reflect on an excellent first year in charge of Newcastle, Ralph Hasenhuttl’s time at Southampton is on the brink of ending.
The Austrian’s position at the club is hanging by the flimsiest of threads in the wake of an eighth defeat in 14 games, which left his side in the bottom three.
That they have taken only 17 points since March is one measure of a prolonged slump, with suggestions that the Saints hierarchy have decided to make a change, albeit with the dilemma of whether to formally drop the axe before or during the World Cup.
Southampton are on the verge of sacking manager Ralph Hasenhuttl after another loss
The Saints are in the relegation zone after losing 4-1 to Newcastle on Sunday afternoon
When it comes, Hasenhuttl’s departure will bring to an end his four-year spell in charge. By Saturday night, he appeared almost resigned to his fate following a 4-1 defeat to Newcastle. Asked directly if he feared the sack, he said: ‘I have taken a lot of decisions since I’m here but I don’t have to take this one.’
More tellingly, when the 55-year-old was pressed on whether he could see a way out of the slump, he added: ‘No…. Not at the moment.’
It was an entirely different mood in Howe’s press briefing after a fourth straight win entrenched their position in the Champions League places.
Southampton have won just three of their 14 league games so far this Premier League season
The Austrian admitted he cannot currently see a way out of his side’s poor league form
With this Tuesday marking one year since he took charge of a club in severe relegation trouble, Howe said: ‘It is important in our position that we do think back to last year We were in a difficult position so I encourage the players to really enjoy this moment and soak in what they are achieving.
‘Last year was very difficult and it is important for the players to look back and not get complacent because we know how quickly it can all change.’
The only blip in a heavy Newcastle win was the half-time withdrawal of Callum Wilson, who is hoping for an England World Cup call-up.
But Howe played down any concerns, saying: ‘Callum was unwell in the week but declared himself fit. He was a bit lightheaded but it was nothing physical.’
He admitted it is not up to him if he leaves but it seems time could be up after four years
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk