The boss of the Melbourne Cricket Club has admitted human error was behind a shocking security breach that resulted in two men allegedly smuggling loaded guns into the MCG during Thursday night’s Collingwood vs Carlton match.

The MCC – which manages the favourite ground – made the revelation as the boss of the AFL Fans Association demanded answers after the two men were charged.

‘Our security screening units identified items of concern and further investigation was required, our initial internal investigation identified a breakdown in the thoroughness of the secondary and manual screening processes,’ MCC CEO Stuart Fox said on Friday morning.

‘As a result, we will be increasing the extensiveness of the secondary manual security process and patrons may experience slight delays as they attend upcoming events.’ 

Victoria Police said the weapons were found on each of the men during a search at about 8.30pm on Thursday, as a crowd of 82,058 fans packed the stadium.

Officers were asked to get intervene when the men refused a request from security to leave the venue over their behaviour, the force said.

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon handed down life bans to the two men charged with allegedly smuggling loaded firearms into the MCG on Thursday night

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon handed down life bans to the two men charged with allegedly smuggling loaded firearms into the MCG on Thursday night 

The CEO of the Melbourne Cricket Club, which manages the MCG, has admitted human error was behind the shocking alleged breach in security (pictured, Collingwood's Darcy Moore passing the ball during the match against Carlton)

The CEO of the Melbourne Cricket Club, which manages the MCG, has admitted human error was behind the shocking alleged breach in security (pictured, Collingwood’s Darcy Moore passing the ball during the match against Carlton) 

The MCG underwent a security upgrade in 2024 as it introduced artificial intelligence into the screening process.

AFL CEO Andrew Dillon issued lifetime bans to the charged men on Friday morning and said the alleged incident is ‘extremely disappointing’. 

‘Overnight, the MCG worked to identify how the two men were able to enter the venue, which concluded that security personnel failed to do a thorough follow-up search of the patrons after an alert from the entry point screening system,’ Dillon said.

‘First thing this morning I had a conference call with the MCG and Victoria Police. There will be additional secondary security measures in place this weekend, and the MCC in conjunction with Victoria Police and the AFL will conduct an end to end review of security measures at the ground.’ 

AFL Fans Association President Ron Issko was shocked by the incident and said nothing like it had ever previously happened.

He said fans were subjected to several security measures including walking past detector pillars and individual security checks.

‘I’m waiting for the AFL to come back to me to explain what’s happened and what they’re going to do about it. And if they have to make some changes this weekend to security, fans will accommodate,’ Mr Issko said.

‘We’ll just wait for an explanation. But I’ll be going to the footy this weekend and I’ve got all the confidence in the security and the police at the footy.’

AFL Fans Association President Ron Issko said he was shocked by the alleged incident, which police claim occurred with 82,000 fans packed into the MCG

 AFL Fans Association President Ron Issko said he was shocked by the alleged incident, which police claim occurred with 82,000 fans packed into the MCG

Two men have been charged with bringing loaded firearms into the MCG (pictured) during a packed AFL clash attended by almost 100,000 fans

Victoria Police allegedly discovered the loaded firearms after the men, aged 21 and 27, refused to leave the stadium for bad behaviour about 8.30pm on Thursday (the MCG is pictured)

How are two men ON BAIL able to allegedly smuggle guns into the MCG during an AFL match?#springst

— David Southwick MP (@SouthwickMP) April 3, 2025

Issko added any security upgrades must be done urgently.

‘Ninety-nine per cent of fans are great. If we’ve got some ratbags let’s get rid of them,’ he said.

‘Let’s not allow them come to football, and let’s beef up security if we have to.’

Both men were on bail at the time.

A Broadmeadows man, 27, was charged with possessing an unregistered handgun, possessing ammunition without licence, altering the serial number of a firearm, possessing a loaded firearm, possessing a prohibited item (Major Event Act offence) and failing to appear on bail.

A man from Roxburgh Park, 21, was charged with being a person prohibited from possessing a firearm, possessing ammunition without licence and committing an indictable offence while on bail.

The men were remanded to appear in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

Victorian Shadow Police and Corrections Minister David Southwick spoke for many on Friday when he tweeted on X: ‘How are two men on bail able to allegedly smuggle guns into the MCG during an AFL match?



***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk