News, Culture & Society

Shopkeeper repeatedly punched and racially abused in a shocking attack caught on CCTV

Buying or leasing a car in the UK? Check MOT of car before you do.

A defiant shopkeeper who was was left bloodied and bruised after being attacked at his shop has vowed that thugs would not make him give up his business. 

Jimmy Morar confronted yobs who were banging on the windows of his Premier Convenience Store on Freeman Street, Birkenhead.

Footage from the shop’s cameras shows a man approaching Mr Morar before punching him.

Jimmy Morar was assaulted after confronting yobs at his store in Birkenhead, leaving him bloodied and bruised. Mrt vowed not to give up his business

The thug hurled items at him including chocolate bars and a ceramic bowl, before approaching him again and raining further blows down on him.   

As the thug carries out the sickening attack, two other youths also entered the shop and spat in the direction of Mr Morar.

Merseyside Police said several items were stolen from the shop and a 16-year-old boy and a 17-year-boy have been arrested on suspicion of robbery.

Unperturbed, Mr Morar, who suffered several cuts to the face, opened his shop as normal the day after the attack.

Speaking to the Liverpool Echo, he said: ‘I was just getting ready to close the shop, it was about 7.30pm.

‘I heard a big bang on the window. I had a look on my CCTV and I saw one lad sitting on the floor and a girl with a dog standing there.

‘I went out and said ‘why the hell are you banging on my window?’, they started being abusive and using racist language, saying things like ‘You P**i bas***d’.

‘I didn’t even react and went back inside.

‘Then within a minute this lad walks in, he was charging up to the till, angry and being abusive, saying bad things.

‘I said ‘just forget it and go away’ and the next thing boof, a punch landed on my face.

‘Then he started picking things up and throwing them. He was throwing chocolate bars and he also threw a ceramic bowl at me that luckily just missed me.

‘He came back behind the till and kept punching me. I was in the corner and there was nothing I could do.

‘It was very scary, he was a big lad. He’d already cut me with the first punch then he kept hitting me again – two, three, four punches. After that

‘I hardly knew where I was.

‘As soon as they left I just locked the door and called the police and my wife Sue to say what had happened.

‘This is not about me – I want to bring awareness abut these things.’

There has been an outpouring of support on social media for Mr Morar after the footage and photos showing him bleeding after the attack were shared on social media by a family friend.

The father-of-four, 58, who works in the shop seven days a week, is thankful for the support.

‘I would like to thank everyone who has supported us after the incident. We want to bring awareness that this sort of behaviour is not acceptable in the community’, he said. 

He said: ‘I opened the next day as normal, I had to, otherwise I would live in fear.

‘My family said ‘dad, you’re not going back but I woke up at 6 and went to work as normal, just opened the shop as normal’.

‘People have been coming in giving information and names. There has been tremendous support and love and encouragement to find these people.

‘I’ve been in the shop business for over 20 years and we’ve had this one for two years. We have had petty stuff before like shoplifting but nothing like this.’

Mr Morar has been blind in his right eye since childhood and said he feared he could have lost the sight in his other eye.

He said: ‘I could have been seriously injured. I’m blind in my right eye, if a punch had landed on my left eye I could have lost the sight in that eye.

‘We work very hard long hours to provide a good service to the community and a lot of people appreciate it. They become like friends and family and we see them day in, day out.

‘Shopkeepers need to be protected and together we must stop these thugs coming around and trying to jeopardise our livelihood.’

Jimmy Morar's Premier Convience Store in Freeman Street, in Birkenhead

Jimmy Morar’s Premier Convience Store in Freeman Street, in Birkenhead

Merseyside Police said enquiries were ongoing to establish the whereabouts of anyone else suspected of being involved in the incident.

The 16-year-old and 17-year-old arrested on suspicion of robbery have been taken to police stations for questioning.

Detective Inspector Paul Parry said: ‘This was a disgusting incident in which a member of staff was assaulted, robbed and subjected to abhorrent racial abuse when simply going about his daily business.

‘We will not tolerate such appalling behaviour and I would ask that anyone with information or who witnessed this incident comes forward as we continue to investigate.

‘Merseyside Police takes all reports of hate crime and robberies targeting businesses extremely seriously and I want to reassure local businesses that we are determined to find all of those responsible and ensure that Wirral remains a safe place to live, work and visit.’

Anyone with information is asked to contact @MerPolCC, call 101 with reference 18400074056 or you can call @CrimestoppersUK anonymously on 0800 555 111. 

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.


Comments are closed.