The 2020 series of Strictly Come Dancing could be cancelled if Britain goes into a second full lockdown, according to new reports.
Show sources told The Sun the BBC would be ‘unable’ to delay the series until next year in the worst case scenario that lockdown is reinstated. The 2020 series is set to launch on October 17.
The latest claim comes as singer HRVY tested positive for COVID-19 and now must quarantine and get a negative test result after twp weeks to ensure he keeps his place in the show.
Will they keep dancing? The 2020 series of Strictly Come Dancing could be cancelled if Britain goes into a second full lockdown, according to new reports (pictured the pro dancers rehearsing for the launch show last month)
A source told the website: ‘The BBC are fully prepared to axe this series of Strictly if a full lockdown happens.
‘They couldn’t even delay the show until early next year because of a number of issues, including them being unable to use their usual studios. While everyone is hopeful it won’t happen, preparations have been made if it does.
‘Everyone working on the show has done their utmost to keep it on air and if a local lockdown happens in London, where the studios are, Strictly bosses will ask for special dispensation to see if they can continue.’
MailOnline has contacted representatives for the BBC for comment.
Setback: It comes after Youtuber HRVY, 21, who is set to star on the upcoming show, tested positive for coronavirus after mixing with his co-stars
This comes amid claims Strictly Come Dancing bosses will axe celebrities and pros if they are caught kissing during filming for the show, it has been reported.
BBC producers are said to have warned contestants they must follow strict anti-coronavirus measures and any physical relationships between those who succumb to the ‘Strictly curse’ will be a clear breach of the rules.
It comes after Youtuber HRVY, real name Harvey Cantwell, 21, tested positive for coronavirus after mixing with his co-stars.
A BBC insider told The Sun: ‘While most of the pros are coupled up, there’s never any guarantees about what might happen.
‘HRVY has been quite open about the fact he’s game for a bit of romance. But clearly, in the current climate, we don’t want him mingling outside of his bubble or putting himself — or others — at any risk.
Oh dear: A source told the website: ‘The BBC are fully prepared to axe this series of Strictly if a full lockdown happens (pictured judges Craig Revel-Horwood, Motsi Mabuse. Shirley Ballas and Bruno Tonioli on the 2019 series)
‘Celebs caught in the act have been told they face being chopped from the show. It’s a case of one strike and they’re out.’
The Strictly curse last struck in 2018 when Stacey Dooley, 33, left her long-term boyfriend for dance partner Kevin Clifton.
Comedian Seann Walsh and his then married dance partner Katya Jones also caused controversy in 2018 when they were photographed kissing after being partnered up.
MailOnline contacted Strictly Come Dancing for comment at the time.
HRVY tested positive just days after mixing with his co-stars on the BBC show and must remain in isolation until next Thursday.
Back to business! The professionals spent two weeks in September isolating in a Buckinghamshire hotel so they could rehearse the group number
That date is just four days before the celebrities are partnered up with professional dancers, with the development representing a major blow for programme bosses.
HRVY is still set to take part in the launch show, depending on a negative test result, and came into contact with a handful of crew who all then isolated and got tested.
However a source said his positive test was ‘the worst-case scenario for Strictly, as they’ve gone to extreme lengths to make the show safe up to this point’.
A spokesman for the show insisted all celebrities on the show are ‘tested regularly’ and claimed that the positive test has had ‘minimal impact on production’.
Keeping a distance: The panel will be giving the stars feedback from separate rostrums (pictured)
The launch show will air on BBC One in just over two weeks’ time on October 17 while the first live show of a pared-down nine week run will be broadcast on October 24.
If HRVY – real name Harvey Cantwell – is not well when he finishes his isolation period next week, he will be axed from the competition.
In a recent industry Q&A, executive producer Sarah James detailed the new Covid-friendly format, which also includes a socially distanced judging panel and contestant ‘bubbles’, with one party being required to live alone.
Sarah also shed light on the show’s contingency plans in light of the pandemic and insisted she’s ‘confident’ the competition series will go ahead even if the current coronavirus restrictions change from October 17.
This year’s series will be a pared down nine-week run with a very different look. The 12 partnerships – three less than usual – will be unveiled via video link rather than in the studio and the annual trip to the Blackpool Tower ballroom is also off the cards.
Only three judges – Craig Revel Horwood, Shirley Ballas and Motsi Mabuse – will be in the studio with separate rostrums, and the dancers will sit in the audience rather than go upstairs to get their scores.
Veteran judge Bruno Tonioli has said he will be ‘involved remotely’ and hopes to return full-time towards the end of the series as he is filming the US version of the show in Los Angeles.
With limited studio crew, big sets may not be built – so producers will use augmented reality, which adds computer-generated elements.
To ensure the contestants can work closely with their partners, they will get tested regularly and ‘bubble up’.
Strict: BBC bosses have warned contestants they must follow strict anti-coronavirus measures and any physical relationships will be a clear breach of the rules