Surgeons save workman’s penis in eight-hour operation

  • Man was rushed to hospital after reportedly sawing into penis with a circular saw
  • Surgeons managed to save his genitalia but say he remains ‘extremely poorly’
  • Police and air ambulance were called to Gloucester village on Monday afternoon

Surgeons have managed to save a workman’s penis following an eight-hour operation after it was cut off in a horrific accident involving a circular saw.

Emergency services were called to Moreton Valence in Gloucestershire on Monday afternoon following reports of a man with a serious groin injury.

The patient was airlifted to Southmead Hospital in Bristol where he spent eight hours in surgery.   

Pictured: A man is recovering at Bristol’s Southmeads Hospital after reportedly sawing into his penis

Doctors are maintaining constant care to treat him following major injuries to his groin.

A family member said the man’s penis had not been lost thanks to the efforts by surgeons.

They said: ‘He is in a lot of pain. This will take a long time to get over.’

The relative also praised the quick thinking actions of another man who was on the scene at the time of the incident.

‘He saved his life,’ he said.

Investigations by the Health and Safety Executive are now under way following the incident on Monday afternoon.

The man remains in a serious condition in hospital following eight hours of surgery at Southmead Hospital in Bristol. 

Earlier this week, a spokesman for the HSE said: ‘We have been made aware of this incident by the police, who attended the scene.

‘We remain in dialogue with the police to establish whether there will be HSE involvement.’

Great Western Air Ambulance said paramedics and a helicopter were called to a man with a ‘traumatic injury to the leg area’.

A spokeswoman said: ‘We sent two critical care doctors and a critical care paramedic to the scene in a helicopter.

‘It was a traumatic injury to the leg area. It was an adult male and he was taken to hospital.’

South Western Ambulance Service confirmed the man was taken to Southmead Hospital in Bristol.

A spokesman added: ‘We attended with one ambulance, one rapid response vehicle and the air ambulance was in attendance. One person was taken to hospital by road ambulance.’

Pictured: An air ambulance was called to the small village of Moreton Valence after the accident on Monday 

Pictured: An air ambulance was called to the small village of Moreton Valence after the accident on Monday