Sydney Swans vs Geelong: Wild moment footy mascot enters the field BEFORE the final siren as security are forced to escort him away from play

  • The Swans defeated Geelong in a thriller on Sunday 
  • The club’s mascot entered the field before the final siren 
  • Sydney have won eight on the bounce and are in great form 

The Swans pulled off a thrilling come-from-behind win, thumping Geelong by 30 points and taking their AFL winning streak to eight matches.

But the club mascot got slightly ahead of himself by entering the field of play before the final siren. in scenes that left fans in stitches.

Footage that circulated on Reddit shows Sydney’s Swan mascot running through the goalposts and onto the turf, leaving players and umpires confused.

A security official raced after the mascot and led him away, as the final seconds of the match played out.

It was the only hiccup in a superb night that started with the league leaders goalless and trailing by 29 points at Sunday’s first change before Joel Amartey kick-started a chain of five unanswered majors to bamboozle the Cats.

Security raced to remove the mascot from the field

Sydney’s mascot entered the field of play before the final siren on Sunday

The Swans extended their winning streak to eight games after Sunday's victory

The Swans extended their winning streak to eight games after Sunday’s victory

Amartey and Tom Papley slammed through two goals each in the third quarter to help Sydney to an 11-point lead before a high-octane Swans unit overwhelmed the Cats to win 16.16 (112) to 12.10 (82).

The victory before a 44,714-strong crowd at the SCG was coach John Longmire’s 200th at the helm.

Errol Gulden (one goal, 37 touches) went to work in the Swans’ engine room while red-hot Chad Warner (two, 26) and Brownlow Medal favourite Isaac Heeney (two, 26) also dominated.

Papley kicked a game-high four goals – his first coming after 26 minutes in the third term – while Amartey had three.

Sydney’s James Jordon was again deployed as a defensive forward against All-Australian defender Tom Stewart, restricting him to 20 touches.

Stewart’s fellow Geelong backmen Max Holmes and Tom Atkins were earnest in their attempts to hold down the fort, while Jeremy Cameron was held goalless until he kicked two in the final term.

Geelong had stunned with a cutthroat opening-term performance, punishing the hosts from turnover and kicking five goals to none.

Geelong had made a fast start but were unable to hold onto their lead

Geelong had made a fast start but were unable to hold onto their lead

Tyson Stengle (three goals) showed flashes of his 2022 premiership best with a magnificent dribbling goal from the pocket, before kicking his second to send the Cats into the first change well on top.

The visitors looked primed to continue their dominance until Amartey finally kicked Sydney’s first major of the evening to reignite his wayward side late in the second term.

Playing like a team possessed, Sydney trimmed their 35-point deficit to five points within 10 minutes, with big guns Will Hayward, Warner and Heeney piling five unanswered goals on the visitors.

Geelong tried to scrape back into the game, kicking three consecutive majors in the final term, but Warner killed their momentum with a spectacular individual goal.