Kaitlyn Scott sliced her neck open on a bottle while dancing with friends on Australia Day
A teenager who fell on a beer bottle and sliced her neck open on Australia Day has opened up about the horrific moment when she thought she was going to die.
Kaitlyn Scott, 19, was dancing on the kitchen table at her home in Central Victoria at a party on Friday afternoon when she tried to jump on to a friend’s back.
But instead, she fell and landed on the bottle of VB that she had been holding, piercing her neck and landing her in emergency surgery.
Bleeding profusely, the teen was rushed to hospital.
Doctors removed the pieces of glass from her throat and closed the wound with twelve sitches
After attempts by her friends to administer first aid failed, she was taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital for life-saving surgery.
‘All the blood just squirted all over [my friend]. She put her hands on me stop the blood, but it was still coming out,’ she said.
‘Everyone kept telling me how lucky I was because it was just a few millimetres away from getting the main artery, and me just dying on the spot,’ she said. ‘It still just hurts to do anything.’
Doctors removed the pieces of glass from her throat in the operating room, and then gave her more than twelve stitches to close the wound.
Katilyn was holding a VB bottle when she jumped on her friend, slicing her neck on the glass
‘Alcohol is dangerous…She’s gotta live with this now,’ Kaitlyn’s relieved mother Cynthia Rowe shared on Monday. ‘But it could have been somebody else she could have hurt.’
Now recovering from her terrifying near-death experience, Kaitlyn said she would be taking a break from drinking for the foreseeable future and hoped others could learn from her freak accident.
‘Just a few drinks can turn into someone almost losing their life,’ she said. ‘I was scared that I was going to die.’
‘Alcohol is dangerous…She’s gotta live with this now,’ said Kaitlyn’s mum Cynthia Rowe (right)