Terrifying moment motocross rider dodged death after horror crash saw her helmet ‘filled with blood’

  • A teen Motocross sensation is lucky to still be alive 
  • Taylah McCutcheon suffered a crash in Melbourne 
  • She suffered severe facial fractures 

A Queensland motocross star says she is ‘lucky to be alive’ after a horrifying accident left her helmet filled with blood. 

Motocross is under the spotlight after Gold Coast icon Jayden Archer died in a training accident near Geelong this month, with the sport sent into mourning following his tragic death.

And now teen sensation Taylah McCutcheon says she is ‘enjoying every day as it comes’ after escaping death following a freakish fall. 

McCutcheon, of Logan, was left with severe facial injuries after an accident at a track in Melbourne on Saturday morning.

The 19-year-old lost grip of her handlebars after a jump and was unable to break in time for her next turn. As a result, she was sent flying into a gully. She broke almost every bone in her face. 


A rising star in Motocross is lucky to still be alive after a horror accident

Taylah McCutcheon crashed while training in Melbourne over the weekend

Taylah McCutcheon crashed while training in Melbourne over the weekend

McCutcheon, a former Australian junior champion, was testing a new suspension with her Empire Kawasaki team, and managed to crawl up an embankment to raise an alarm, as nobody had seen the accident.

She was rushed to Royal Melbourne Hospital where she had emergency surgery. Her mum rushed from Queensland to support her and she will meet surgeons in the coming days to discuss further operations. 

McCutcheon says she has little recollection of the incident and is disappointed to be missing out on the opening round of the national championship. However, she is grateful to be alive after the shocking accident. 

‘I’m lucky to still be here,’ she told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

‘I couldn’t brake in time so I overshot the berm (banked turn) and flew into a gully and landed face first.

‘My helmet was filled with blood, my sinuses were destroyed, both my eye sockets were broken, my left cheekbone, the left side of the my jaw, my maxilla.

‘It was pretty gnarly.’

McCutcheon admits that the accident has served as a stark reminder of the dangers in her sport, with Archer’s death aged just 28 still in everybody’s memory. 

‘This has really hit close to home,’ she said.

‘I didn’t know Jayo well, but he was such a big figure in the sport and he still had so much competition and so much life in front of him, so it was complete shock to hear that he died.

She says she is grateful to be enjoying every single day after her scrape with death

She says she is grateful to be enjoying every single day after her scrape with death

‘And now talking to doctors about how close I came to not still being here, it’s pretty scary.

‘The helmet saved my life.’

In a statement posted to Instagram, McCutcheon said: ‘Grateful to still be here.

‘We are still yet to discover what cut my face as it’s still unknown , this is as much information we could gather from what we know as I don’t remember a thing and no one really saw much of it. 

‘But thank you once again to everyone that has messaged or called me. Especially to every person that was helping me out during my incident, I thank you all more then anything!!

‘There was definitely someone in my corner that day and I’m just blessed to be here. Enjoy every day as it comes.’

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk