‘Why don’t you die?’ Texas mom is charged after she ‘punched her four-month-old daughter and sat on her face in an attempt to smother the baby to death’
- Meredith Nicole Deen, 20, was charged Monday with felony attempted capital murder
- She allegedly attempted to smother her four-month-old daughter inside their Houston home
- According to court documents, the incident was witnessed by Deen’s boyfriend, who managed to save the infant
- The young mom was arrested Friday, after the boyfriend told daycare workers about the shocking event
- Deen reportedly confessed to the crime, and even claimed that she had tried to smother her daughter on one prior occasion
- She is currently in custody in a Houston hospital, where she is undergoing mental health assessments
A Texas mother allegedly covered her daughter in blankets and pillows before sitting on her face in an attempt to smother her to death.
Meredith Nicole Deen, 20, was charged Monday with felony attempted capital murder in relation to the shocking incident which reportedly took place in her Houston apartment last Thursday.
The incident was witnessed by Deen’s live-in boyfriend, who claimed the mom also punched the baby girl and expressed a desire to throw her against a wall.
Meredith Nicole Deen, 20, was charged Monday with felony attempted capital murder, after she allegedly tried to smother her baby daughter to death
According to court documents, the boyfriend further alleged that Deen said to her infant daughter: ‘Why don’t you die? Why are you still alive?’
The man eventually pulled Deen off the baby, and the tot managed to survive the attempted suffocation, it is claimed.
The following day, the four-month-old was dropped at daycare by Deen and her boyfriend, where employees noticed that she was shaking, according to ABC News 11.
After the couple were questioned about the little girl’s health by the daycare staff, Deen’s boyfriend came clean about the alleged attempted smothering.
Employees called the Harris County’s Sheriff’s Office, who quickly arrived at the scene.
Deen is currently in custody in a Houston hospital where she is undergoing psychiatric evaluation
The four-month-old was taken to hospital for examination, but doctors found no visible signs of injury.
Meanwhile, Deen told police she had become enraged after her mother refused to care for the baby.
She reportedly confessed to cops that she had tried to smother the baby – even saying that it was her second attempt at doing so.
Deen claims she had previously held a pillow over the infant’s face for 30 seconds.
The young mom expressed regret for her actions, and is currently in custody in a Houston hospital where she is undergoing psychiatric evaluation.