The best fine-dining restaurants in Australia have been named by Tripadvisor with Wild Harvest off the coast of Tasmania landing the top spot overall.
Sadly there were no Australian restaurants in the global top 25 list as part of Tripadvisor’s 2022 Travellers’ Choice ‘Best of the Best’ Restaurants Awards, which are decided by an algorithm that analyses the millions of reviews and ratings collected in a year from travellers around the world.
Interestingly there was only one establishment on the list in a major capital city – Sokyo in Sydney – and the rest were as far-reaching as Port Douglas in Queensland – Melaleuca – and Pokolbin in New South Wales with The Gates Restaurant.
The Old Stamp House Restaurant in the Lake District rated number one in the UK and the world for the second year running.
Oro Restaurante in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, is the second-best restaurant in the global ranking, followed by Madonnina del Pescatore in the Italian seaside town of Senigallia. Number one in America is Lahaina Grill in Maui, Hawaii, which ranks 19th overall.
The Old Stamp House Restaurant (above) in the Lake District is the number-one-rated fine-dining restaurant in the UK and the world for the second year running, earning the accolade as part of Tripadvisor’s 2022 Travellers’ Choice ‘Best of the Best’ Restaurants Awards
The Old Stamp House Restaurant serves dishes that give a ‘unique glimpse into the food and cultural heritage of Cumbria’. On the right is an artfully presented dish at the restaurant
The gold-medal-winning Old Stamp Restaurant, which lies in the picturesque town of Ambleside, is housed in the former office of the Romantic poet William Wordsworth.
With head chef Ryan Blackburn at the helm, the 28-cover restaurant serves dishes that give a ‘unique glimpse into the food and cultural heritage of Cumbria’. A tasting menu might feature tomatoes from the north of Cumbria, mushrooms found in the woods around Ambleside, and turbot from the English Channel.
It has rave reviews – Tripadvisor user ‘Mull2345’, who visited this month, wrote: ‘Exquisite food and wine flight to match. Give this place another star!’ Another recent reviewer described the food as ‘culinary wizardry’.
Blackburn – who is also chef patron of the nearby restaurant Kysty, which was named the UK’s fifth-best date spot in the awards – commented: ‘It’s incredible that we’ve been recognised with the Travellers’ Choice Awards from Tripadvisor for Best in the World, Best in Europe and Best in the UK, based on community reviews, for the second year in a row, as well as being listed fifth in the UK for Kysty in the Date Night category, an improvement of two places on last year.
THE 2022 WINNERS OF TRIPADVISOR’S TRAVELLERS’ CHOICE RESTAURANTS AWARDS
FAVOURITE FINE DINING RESTAURANTS WORLDWIDE
1. The Old Stamp House Restaurant, Ambleside, the Lake District, Cumbria
2. Oro Restaurante, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
3. Madonnina del Pescatore, Senigallia, Italy
4. Martin Berasategui, Lasarte-Oria, Spain
5. El Xato, La Nucia, Spain
6. Ristorante Villa Crespi, Orta San Giulio, Italy
7. Les Plaisirs Gourmands, Schiltigheim, France Europe
8. Sachi Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt
9. Auberge Du Vieux Puits, Fontjoncouse, France
10. Paul Ainsworth at No. 6, Padstow, Cornwall, England
FAVOURITE FINE DINING RESTAURANTS IN THE UK
1. The Old Stamp House Restaurant, Ambleside, the Lake District, Cumbria
2. Paul Ainsworth at No. 6, Padstow, Cornwall
3. Hide and Fox, Hythe, Kent
4. Frog By Adam Handling, London
5. The Olive Tree, Bath, Somerset
6. Galvin La Chapelle, London
7. The Gannet, Glasgow, Scotland
8. The Mahal, Cheltenham, Cotswolds
9. Dean Banks At The Pompadour, Edinburgh
10. Gem42, Newport, Wales
FAVOURITE FINE DINING RESTAURANTS IN THE U.S
1. Lahaina Grill, Maui, Hawaii
2. The Restaurant at Gideon Ridge, Blowing Rock, North Carolina
3. The Lincoln Inn & Restaurant At The Covered Bridge, Woodstock, Vermont
4. Cafe Monarch, Scottsdale, Arizona
5. Halls Chophouse, Charleston, South Carolina
6. Six Tables a Restaurant, Boca Raton, Florida
7. Inn at Little Washington, Washington, Virginia
8. Sazon, Santa Fe, New Mexico
9. Collage Restaurant, St. Augustine, Florida
10. Bourbon Steak by Michael Mina, a Nashville Steakhouse, Nashville, Tennessee
FAVOURITE FINE DINING RESTAURANTS IN AUSTRALIA
1. Wild Harvest, King Island, Tasmania
2. EXP Restaurant, Pokolbin, New South Wales
3. Melaleuca, Port Douglas, Queensland
4. Charred Kitchen & Bar, Orange, New South Wales
5. Sokyo, Sydney
6. The Stunned Mullet, Port Macquarie, New South Wales
7. Me Wah, Hobart, Tasmania
8. The Gates Restaurant, Pokolbin, New South Wales
9. L’isle de France Terrigal, Terrigal, New South Wales
10. Margan Restaurant & Winery, Broke, New South Wales
Oro Restaurante in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, is the second-best restaurant in the global ranking
Madonnina del Pescatore in the Italian seaside town of Senigallia, pictured, is third worldwide. ‘Fish lovers need to try this place at least once,’ a recent review reads
Number one in America in the fine-dining ranking is Lahaina Grill in Maui, Hawaii, which ranks 19th overall. Its menu revolves around the ‘freshest ingredients cultivated by Maui’s local farms, dairies and surrounding waters’
Wild Harvest (pictured above), set on rugged King Island in Tasmania, is Australia’s top-ranking fine-dining restaurant
Wild Harvest has a ‘paddock to plate’ philosophy
‘Both teams constantly listen to what our guests have to say and the feedback they give us helps us deliver consistency and excellence across every aspect of what we do. Both restaurant teams are a little bit lost for words and just want to say thank you to the wonderful guests that have taken the time and trouble to help us continue to develop and improve as both evolve.’
Second-place Oro Restaurante, meanwhile, plates up cuisine that’s a ‘fusion of Brazilian roots and cutting-edge gastronomy’, according to the Michelin Guide, while bronze-medal-winner Madonnina del Pescatore offers diners views of the Adriatic Sea and a menu that’s rich in seafood to match. ‘Fish lovers need to try this place at least once,’ a recent review of the latter reads.
Two Spanish eateries make up the rest of the top five – the French-inspired, three-Michelin-starred restaurant Martin Berasategui (fourth) in the town of Lasarte-Oria in the north of the country, and El Xato (fifth) in Alicante, which has been running for over 100 years and specialises in contemporary Mediterranean cuisine.
The French-inspired, three-Michelin-starred restaurant Martin Berasategui (fourth) in the town of Lasarte-Oria in the north of Spain is fourth overall
El Xato in Alicante, which has been running for over 100 years and specialises in contemporary Mediterranean cuisine, ranks fifth globally
As for the UK fine-dining ranking, The Old Stamp Restaurant is followed by Paul Ainsworth at No. 6, a restaurant in Padstow, Cornwall, that presents ‘modern British’ fare.
Hide and Fox in Kent – a ‘hidden gem’, according to a recent review – is third; London’s Frog By Adam Handling, where guests can expect a ‘theatrical dining experience’, is fourth; and the ‘fabulous’ Olive Tree in Bath is fifth.
In the U.S ranking, first-place Lahaina Grill offers a menu that revolves around the ‘freshest ingredients cultivated by Maui’s local farms, dairies and surrounding waters’. It’s followed by The Restaurant at Gideon Ridge (second) in North Carolina, where an outdoor terrace offers stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the ‘outstanding’ Lincoln Inn & Restaurant At The Covered Bridge (third) in Woodstock, Vermont.
Family-owned Cafe Monarch in Scottsdale, Arizona, is fourth in the U.S, while Halls Chophouse – a fine-dining restaurant that’s known for its steaks – in Charleston, South Carolina, is fifth.
Set on rugged King Island, Australia’s number one fine-dining restaurant Wild Harvest has an ‘ocean to table’ and ‘paddock to plate’ philosophy, with menus that include local scallops and ‘Wild Harvest-raised’ pork sausage.
Paul Ainsworth at No. 6, a restaurant set in the Cornish fishing town of Padstow, is second in the UK fine-dining ranking
Paul Ainsworth at No. 6 presents diners with ‘modern British’ fare, pictured above
The Restaurant at Gideon Ridge in North Carolina is second in the U.S fine-dining ranking and has been named the best date night spot in the U.S. Its outdoor terrace offers stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains
A dish at The Restaurant at Gideon Ridge
The ‘dark, moody and intimate’ EXP Restaurant in New South Wales lands second place in the ranking and the rest of the top five comprises Melaleuca (third), a restaurant run by a husband-and-wife team in Queensland; the ‘relaxed’ Charred Kitchen & Bar (fourth) in New South Wales; and Sokyo (fifth), an ‘elegant’ Japanese eatery in Sydney.
The awards also have five more subcategories – Everyday Eats, Picture-Perfect, Date Night, Hidden Gems and Quick Bites.
Brand-new category ‘Hidden Gems’ showcases the ‘lesser-known spots and places locals love’, with Green Point, – a ‘plant-based culinary experience’ that will ‘impress vegans and meat eaters alike’ – in Cusco, Peru, taking the top spot worldwide. The number one ‘Hidden Gem’ in the UK, meanwhile, is La Fiesta Restaurant in Doncaster, Yorkshire. Tripadvisor reviewers praise the restaurant for its all-you-can-eat tapas option and ‘great’ atmosphere. Elsewhere, Joe’s At The Jepson in Savannah, Georgia, is top in the U.S and The Currant Shed in Greater Adelaide reigns supreme in Australia.
THE 2022 WINNERS OF THE CATEGORIES EVERYDAY EATS, PICTURE-PERFECT, DATE NIGHT, HIDDEN GEMS AND QUICK BITES
BEST PICTURE-PERFECT WORLDWIDE
1. Sunset Monalisa, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
2. KOMA Singapore, Singapore
3. 7 Thalasses, Rethymnon, Crete, Greece
4. La Yola Restaurant, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
5. The Flying Fishbone, Savaneta, Aruba
6. Porfirio’s Cancun, Cancun, Mexico
7. Koral Restaurant, Bali, Indonesia
8. Tomo, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
9. Adamo ed Eva by Eden Roc, Positano, Italy
10. Man Wah, Hong Kong, China
BEST DATE NIGHT WORLDWIDE
1. Altto Ristorante & Lounge Bar, Armacao dos Buzios, Brazil
2. Kaage at VARU by Atmosphere, Madivaru, Maldives
3. Mylos A La Carte Restaurant, Kolimbia, Greece
4. Pluvio restaurant, Vancouver Island, Canada
5. San Lucas Treetop Dining Experience, Monteverde, Costa Rica
6. Baglio Amalfi Italian Bistro Cucina, Vino & Drinks, Amalfi, Italy
7. The Ugly Duckling, Fuerteventura, Spain
8. Villa Donna Bistro, Monte Verde, Brazil
9. Ristorante Gavioli, Bormio, Italy
10. Lotus Eaters Restaurant, Crete, Greece
BEST HIDDEN GEMS WORLDWIDE
1. Green Point, Cusco, Peru
2. IX CAT IK Mayan Cuisine, Yucatan, Mexico
3. Taberna el Sur, Madrid, Spain
4. La Locanda Gesu Vecchio, Naples, Italy
5. La Fiesta Restaurant, Doncaster, Yorkshire, England
6. Mivan Restaurant Cafe, Istanbul, Turkey
7. Indian Palace, Florence, Italy
8. La Dolce Vita, Pipa, Praia da Pipa, Brazil
9. Tierra Roja Restaurant, Chia, Colombia
10. Little India, Tenerife, Spain
BEST EVERYDAY EATS
In the UK
1. Makars Gourmet Mash Bar, Edinburgh
2. Simla Restaurant, Newcastle upon Tyne
3. Rio Brazilian Steakhouse – Middlesbrough, Yorkshire
In the U.S
1. Timber Kitchen and Bar, Bangor, Maine
2. Doc Ford’s Rum Bar & Grille Ft. Myers Beach, Fort Myers Beach, Florida Southwest Gulf Coast
3. Ristorante Pesto, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1. Bella Venezia Restaurant & Bar, Mooloolaba, Queensland
2. Cucina Porto, Sydney
3. Victor’s Place, McLaren Vale, Greater Adelaide
BEST QUICK BITES IN THE U.S
1. Bleecker Street Pizza, New York City
2. BirdHouse, Page, Arizona
3. Steak Shack, Honolulu, Hawaii
4. Martha’s Dandee Creme, Queensbury, New York
5. Milt’s Stop & Eat, Moab, Utah
6. NY Pizza Suprema, New York City
7. Seven Brothers, Kahuku, Hawaii
8. Muldoon’s, Munising, Michigan
9. Portillo’s Hot Dogs, Chicago
10. Earl of Sandwich, Las Vegas, Nevada
The ‘dark, moody and intimate’ EXP Restaurant in New South Wales has been named Australia’s second-best fine-dining restaurant
Enjoy plant-based food at Green Point in Cusco, Peru, a restaurant that takes the top spot worldwide in the Hidden Gems category
Tripadvisor reviewers praise La Fiesta Restaurant in Doncaster for its all-you-can-eat tapas option. The eatery is the number one ‘Hidden Gem’ in the UK
In the Date Night category, Altto Ristorante & Lounge Bar in the Brazilian resort town of Armacao dos Buzios has been crowned the most romantic restaurant in the world for 2022. ‘With a breathtaking view of the Bay of Armacao and [an] unparalleled gastronomic experience, it’s clear why couples love dining here,’ says Tripadvisor. Salamander Restaurant, which lies in the picturesque Cornish fishing village of Mevagissey, has been branded the best spot for a romantic meal in the UK, The Restaurant at Gideon Ridge scoops up another accolade as the best date night spot in the U.S and Watergate Restaurant & Lounge Bar in Queensland is top in Australia.
The Picture Perfect category is the one no doubt most keenly noted by snap-happy foodies – and this year’s winner, we can reveal is last year’s No.14 – Sunset Monalisa, in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. ‘You will experience a cracking sunset here, topped off with the sound of waves crashing while you eat,’ says Tripadvisor.
There’s no global winner in the Everyday Eats category, but Edinburgh’s Makars Gourmet Mash Bar – a restaurant that serves up nine variations of mash potato including chilli mash, smoked bacon and spring onion mash and black pudding mash, as well as a variety of classic Scottish dishes – is top in the UK. Meanwhile, Timber Kitchen and Bar in the city of Bangor, Maine, is number one in the U.S and Bella Venezia Restaurant and Bar in Queensland leads the pack in Australia.
In the Date Night category, Altto Ristorante & Lounge Bar (above) in the Brazilian resort town of Armacao dos Buzios has been crowned the most romantic restaurant in the world for 2022
Sunset Monalisa (pictured), in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, tops the podium in the Picture Perfect category. ‘You will experience a cracking sunset here,’ says Tripadvisor
Finally, Bleecker Street Pizza in New York tops the podium in the Quick Bites category, which exclusively ranks American eateries.
Commenting on the awards, Lauren Murphy, Vice President and General Manager of Hospitality Solutions at Tripadvisor, says: ‘Dining out is an internationally beloved pastime: for many restaurant-goers, it’s frequenting their favourite neighbourhood eatery and for others, it’s snagging a table at a top-rated restaurant on holiday. More than half of consumers in a recent survey told us that food is the most exciting component of their trip.
‘Like searching through a big menu for the perfect meal, recommendations can be helpful in decision-making, and our community’s guidance makes choosing from the wide array of restaurants easier. Tripadvisor’s Travellers’ Choice Awards, decided by people who visited and reviewed these places in the past year, offers authentic recommendations for the best places to eat no matter the occasion!’
For more on the ranking, visit tripadvisor.co.uk/TravellersChoice-Restaurants.